Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Which is a better aquarium?
Acrilic 8 26.67%
Glass 20 66.67%
Other (Please make a post and tell me why you chose this option) 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

There is no way that the fish is ever going to put anywhere near as much force on the tank as the water does. If the front of the aquarium is 4 feet by 2 feet there is around 500 pounds of force on that piece of glass (if my physics has not completely escaped me). Your shark would break himself before he broke the glass.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
Thanks for your input everyone. Should anyone care to elaborate on the "plywood tank" idea I would love to hear it

Joe

Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Watch out this link could possibly be dangerous.. you could end up building a monster tank!!!! 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Old 06-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both have their pro's and con's, as already mentioned. I have a glass aquarium, but only because of cost and supply. With the right reinforcement, acrylic can be way better than glass. I've been working with acrylics for personal projects for years and have yet to have a problem. I voted acrylic, but only because you didn't have a "both" option
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I too recommend glass...
And if I was you I would be planning atleast a 200gal tank for your Bala and Iridescent Sharks.
The Balas swimming characteristics, preference for being in a shoal of atleast three (3+) fish and the fact that they get to a average 12"-14" pretty much mandates a large habitat for mature adult Balas.
here is a excellent profile on the Bala shark,
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/prof...nids/bala.html

ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:20 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

As for the folks that commented on your Iridescent Shark...
The first was correct, Iridescent Sharks can attain a maximum length over 4', yes over four feet 8O ! Now granted thats the 'Max Length', most will grow initially to two and half to three feet (2.5'-3') and then their growth will be very slow for the rest of their life.
Here's a profile for the Iridescent,
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...asiu/172_f.php
The reason alot of people fall for the size in captivity falsehood is because most large fish never make it to maturity in captivity, they die early due to lack of sufficient habitat and diet. A fish does not know the difference between captive and wild, its genetics tell it to swim, eat and grow regardless.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeherd2306
*Irridescent sharks can get up to three feet long and unless you have a 2,000 gallon aquarium, you should not get one.
Blazeherd, your right and wrong
The Iridescent Shark can max at over four feet (4') 8O !
Don't let some try to knock you down with erroneous info/profiles, go to the people who know for the correct info.

Chile 'the poet who didn't know'it' Relleno.....

Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFanatic
Blaze- Where did you get the info that said that Irridescent sharks get to be 3 feet long and need 2,000 gal tank?

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10shark_irridescent.htm
FishyFanatic, that profile stinks like dead fish, try this one...
The reason alot of people fall for the size in captivity falsehood is because most large fish never make it to maturity in captivity, they die early due to lack of sufficient habitat and diet. A fish does not know the difference between captive and wild, its genetics tell it to swim, eat and grow regardless.
Another reason that some mistakenly profile fish is that alot of the larger fish will grow rapidly during their juvenile stage attaining 1/2-3/4 their adult max size and then grow slowly over the rest of their life.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
how much length and with would a tank need to house a iridescent shark.. just curious..
Old 06-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I personally think that tank minimums should be based on fish length.
My minimum tank guidelines are as follows,
Length - 6X FL (fish length)
Width - 1.5-2X FL
Height - 1.5 FL
Fish with swimming characteristics that require the need to cruise, fish that are very fast swimmers or when you want to observe true schooling behaviour then you'll need a longer and/or wider tank than these minimums.

This is my opinion, just my $0.02...

Tags
acrylic, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com