Acrylic Versus Glass Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is a better aquarium?

• Acrilic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glass

• Other (Please make a post and tell me why you chose this option)

• Total voters
I think glass is a better choice, as long as it doen't get hit. Glass does not scratch and is available in a wide range of sizes, even bowfronts and seamless corners. But acrylic has its benefit of strength on impact.

Acryllic is stronger than glass. Even though I like glass better, I don't think acryllic leaks as much as glass does.

You may break the glass but your fish wont. If you have a tank that is holding back that much water the shark would need a fricking laser beam on his head to damage it.

AquaJoe said:
Both species are known for being "tank busters". Just thought I would point that out :D

Joe
Even our little 12"-14" Oscar is considered a tank-buster, both the Bala and the Iridescent Sharks have the potential to get larger and heavier, in the case of the Iridescent... Much larger/heavier 8O !
Some folks fail to realize just how powerful fish are, and how much kinetic energy they can generate when dashing across the tank in a panic and smashing against the glass.
I don't want to do the math, but just imagine a 1.5-2lbs fish which a has a pretty good density for its mass, moving at 15-20+mph hitting your average .25" glass combined with the force already being exerted on the glass by water pressure...
Tank-buster!

ChileRelleno said:
AquaJoe said:
Both species are known for being "tank busters". Just thought I would point that out :D

Joe
Even our little 12"-14" Oscar is considered a tank-buster, both the Bala and the Iridescent Sharks have the potential to get larger and heavier, in the case of the Iridescent... Much larger/heavier 8O !
Some folks fail to realize just how powerful fish are, and how much kinetic energy they can generate when dashing across the tank in a panic and smashing against the glass.
I don't want to do the math, but just imagine a 1.5-2lbs fish which a has a pretty good density for its mass, moving at 15-20+mph hitting your average .25" glass combined with the force already being exerted on the glass by water pressure...
Tank-buster!

Hence my concern..... 8O

Joe

I voted "other" because I got too damn tired of clicking "view results" every time I look at this thread :p

Hope nobody minds the tainted poll :fadein:

Joe

I chose glass. it is easier to clean. the algae scrapes off easier, maybe because you can use a tougher pad. it will also last longer. and it is alot cheaper. the only real fault is the weight.

It looks like a glass and plywood tank is becoming more of a reality now. I'm mapping it out in my head as we speak :lol:

Again, thank you everyone for your input. Please feel free to share any additional comments regarding this topic or maybe good DIY plywood aquarium projects.

Joe

Would you folks say it is common practice to DIY 100 gallon tanks? Would it be more cost effective to just buy a glass tank? Between all the special paints, sealers, tools and lumber needed to make a DIY tank it seems that unless you want a mammoth sized tank that pet stores just DO NOT carry then you MUST DIY.

Joe

I was assuming you wanted something 200+ gallons and I would assume that the DIY project would be cheaper.. you can DIY a Glass tank if you wanted to..
Big tanks are normally big bucks.. you usually have to special order them from the pet store and they usually mark them up at the very least 20%..

Interesting... You wouldn't happen to know of any step by step instructions I could follow to build a 100 gallon tank? When I say step by step. I mean STEP BY STEP as I am a real laymen when it comes to building aquariums (this would be my first).

I find all of the DIY threads I have read which are designed to help others build an aquarium themselves are often very shallow in terms of attention to detail and are over all just not 'broken down' enough for me to really understand.

Thank you, so very much.

Joe

Another silly question...I got my tank from a friend and assumed it was glass. Is there a way to tell the difference between glass and acrylic??

There would be a tremendous weight difference between an acrylic and glass aquarium, as jersyman stated. Also, glass aquariums tend to have a green tint to the glass. Try looking directly into the seem of a corner where one glass panel meets the other, you will a greenish tint if it is glass.

Joe

AquaJoe said:
Interesting... You wouldn't happen to know of any step by step instructions I could follow to build a 100 gallon tank? When I say step by step. I mean STEP BY STEP as I am a real laymen when it comes to building aquariums (this would be my first).

I find all of the DIY threads I have read which are designed to help others build an aquarium themselves are often very shallow in terms of attention to detail and are over all just not 'broken down' enough for me to really understand.

Thank you, so very much.

Joe

I have yet to see a extreamly detailed DIY thread for building plywood tanks.. I have seen the some that just put up there after pictures..ack! LOL
Did you check out the GARF instructions? it gives you instructions after you put in the demetions you want to build the tank..

acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass the same thickness. It scratches easier but can be buffed out easy. Also a much better insulator than glass. Glass can not be buffed out easy. I did a lot or research before I bought and went with acrylic. More money but worth it. Just make sure you get cell cast acrylic and not extruded.

Back
Top Bottom