Acrylic Versus Glass Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is a better aquarium?

• Acrilic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glass

• Other (Please make a post and tell me why you chose this option)

• Total voters
Brenden said:
acrylic is 17 times stronger than glass the same thickness. It scratches easier but can be buffed out easy. Also a much better insulator than glass. Glass can not be buffed out easy. I did a lot or research before I bought and went with acrylic. More money but worth it. Just make sure you get cell cast acrylic and not extruded.

Were did you get the 17 times stronger information?
As far as I knew acrylic was just alot more impact resistant?

Go to google and type "acrylic aquarium 17 stronger" in your search. It will pull up around 1000 sources for you to verify it.

Brenden said:
Go to google and type "acrylic aquarium 17 stronger" in your search. It will pull up around 1000 sources for you to verify it.

"will flex instead of shatter" is in print just behind it. it seems to be an advertisement in most cases.. but I see were you got the information...

greenmagi said:
Did you check the plywood tank instructions on the cichlidfourm?
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php
There are 3 plywood tank projects on that page...

Hello greenmagi, yes I have tried the DIY forum on that cichlid site as well as the tank builder thing -where you enter the dimensions and it gives you the instructions.

I just can't find anything quite detailed enough.

Joe

AquaJoe said:
greenmagi said:
Did you check the plywood tank instructions on the cichlidfourm?
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php
There are 3 plywood tank projects on that page...

Hello greenmagi, yes I have tried the DIY forum on that cichlid site as well as the tank builder thing -where you enter the dimensions and it gives you the instructions.

I just can't find anything quite detailed enough.

Joe

Sorry to hear about that. I read the ones at http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php
and the 140 gallon project looked quite detailed to me.. I guess I would have to try to build one to know exactly how detailed it is..

Maybe it is just me. I think I may bring the intructions to a carpenter friend of mine and have him look them over. He builds boats for a living so I'm sure a 140 gallon aquarium would be a walk in the park :lol:

Joe

AquaJoe said:
Maybe it is just me. I think I may bring the intructions to a carpenter friend of mine and have him look them over. He builds boats for a living so I'm sure a 140 gallon aquarium would be a walk in the park :lol:

Joe

Do you have any carpentry experience? Ive done some framing, finishing, and remodeling.. I try not to bring personal experience into advise but Im afraid I might have with this one.. sorry..
And yes Im quite sure you carpenter friend would find the instructions quite clear!
Good Luck!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom