Acrylic Versus Glass Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which is a better aquarium?

• Acrilic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glass

• Other (Please make a post and tell me why you chose this option)

• Total voters

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think the topic of this thread may be a bit misleading however very useful none the less. I have searched AA and have been unable to find the information I need so I decided to just ask!

What are the main differences between the two types of aquariums? Please include as much detail as possible about the pros and cons of each. I thank you in advance as this will help me to determine what type of tank to buy next.

You may also be interested to know that my next aquarium will be 100+ gallons and home to some large fish (Iridescent catfish, Balas etc).

Joe

Joe,
this is an easy one

Acrylic pros: lighter - can be made seamless - easy to drill if you want to add a sump
Cons: scratches easily - scratches harder to remove - very expensive - often a special order item

Glass pros: cheap - easy to find - scratches buff out easily
cons: heavy - has visible seams - easily destroyed if you drop it 12 inches

Thank you malkore :)

One of my main concerns is the fact that this aquarium will house large powerful fish. If you know much about Iridescents then I am sure you know they spook easily and often have a "flight" response where they swim insanely fast often times bashing into the side of the aquarium etc etc. I am concerned that acrylic may be more succeptable to breaking under these circumstances as oppose to glass.

I've been doing alot of reading about this, at least trying to anyway, and I see that many people feel acrylic is stronger then glass. Care to elaborate on this?

Many thanks.

Joe

I prefer glass because it doesn't scratch as easily as acrylic. The only time I would get acrylic is if the tank is over 180 gallons because glass tanks that size are heavy and are hard to move.

*Irridescent sharks can get up to three feet long and unless you have a 2,000 gallon aquarium, you should not get one.

i think its stronger because it doesnt have any seams or points that wont help as well as others...but i'm not too sure

In the wild they may get that big, but not in an aquarium setting. Most fish are larger in the wild that in captivity (ie Aquarium).

If I remember right acrylic has more flex in it than glass, is why it is less likely to break.. and I dont know if the iridescent shark is a tank buster.. I would have to do some research on that.. I really doubt that the sharks could break ether one to be honest with you..
And if I was going to get a BIG aquarium I think I would build a plywood tank..

There is no way that the fish is ever going to put anywhere near as much force on the tank as the water does. If the front of the aquarium is 4 feet by 2 feet there is around 500 pounds of force on that piece of glass (if my physics has not completely escaped me). Your shark would break himself before he broke the glass.

Thanks for your input everyone. Should anyone care to elaborate on the "plywood tank" idea I would love to hear it :)

Joe

Both have their pro's and con's, as already mentioned. I have a glass aquarium, but only because of cost and supply. With the right reinforcement, acrylic can be way better than glass. I've been working with acrylics for personal projects for years and have yet to have a problem. I voted acrylic, but only because you didn't have a "both" option

I too recommend glass...
And if I was you I would be planning atleast a 200gal tank for your Bala and Iridescent Sharks.
The Balas swimming characteristics, preference for being in a shoal of atleast three (3+) fish and the fact that they get to a average 12"-14" pretty much mandates a large habitat for mature adult Balas.
here is a excellent profile on the Bala shark,
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/cyprinids/bala.html

As for the folks that commented on your Iridescent Shark...
The first was correct, Iridescent Sharks can attain a maximum length over 4', yes over four feet 8O ! Now granted thats the 'Max Length', most will grow initially to two and half to three feet (2.5'-3') and then their growth will be very slow for the rest of their life.
Here's a profile for the Iridescent,
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/pangasii/pangasiu/172_f.php
The reason alot of people fall for the size in captivity falsehood is because most large fish never make it to maturity in captivity, they die early due to lack of sufficient habitat and diet. A fish does not know the difference between captive and wild, its genetics tell it to swim, eat and grow regardless.

Blazeherd2306 said:
*Irridescent sharks can get up to three feet long and unless you have a 2,000 gallon aquarium, you should not get one.

Blazeherd, your right and wrong :wink:
The Iridescent Shark can max at over four feet (4') 8O !
Don't let some try to knock you down with erroneous info/profiles, go to the people who know for the correct info.

Chile 'the poet who didn't know'it' Relleno..... :lol:

FishyFanatic said:
Blaze- Where did you get the info that said that Irridescent sharks get to be 3 feet long and need 2,000 gal tank?

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10shark_irridescent.htm

FishyFanatic, that profile stinks like dead fish, try this one...
The reason alot of people fall for the size in captivity falsehood is because most large fish never make it to maturity in captivity, they die early due to lack of sufficient habitat and diet. A fish does not know the difference between captive and wild, its genetics tell it to swim, eat and grow regardless.
Another reason that some mistakenly profile fish is that alot of the larger fish will grow rapidly during their juvenile stage attaining 1/2-3/4 their adult max size and then grow slowly over the rest of their life.

I personally think that tank minimums should be based on fish length.
My minimum tank guidelines are as follows,
Length - 6X FL (fish length)
Width - 1.5-2X FL
Height - 1.5 FL
Fish with swimming characteristics that require the need to cruise, fish that are very fast swimmers or when you want to observe true schooling behaviour then you'll need a longer and/or wider tank than these minimums.

This is my opinion, just my $0.02...

Back
Top Bottom