Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

You made a good choice that perfectly balance out your lighting. I might consider getting me the 48" to supplement my 48" Marineland Reef capable in my 60 gal tank.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
You made a good choice that perfectly balance out your lighting. I might consider getting me the 48" to supplement my 48" Marineland Reef capable in my 60 gal tank.
I am happy with it. It isn't perfect but overall it is much better than the reef capable led on its own.

Help me understand lighting requirements for corals. My corals have only been in the tank for 1 month but they are doing fine. Generally SPS corals require higher lighting. With the setup I have now with the additional 1 watt LEDs would I still consider my lighting system low to moderate lighting? Without having a par meter i cant tell exactly what i have but does the additional light add to the total par rating that is in the tank or would it only add to the par rating in the tank if I added a brighter light? I'm just trying to understand what lights can grow what coral.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It is cumulative. Adding light adds to PAR.

Hard to tell without meter. Different emitters have different efficiencies and add lenses, it can vary a lot between fixtures. That's why we recommend certain fixtures for certain tank sizes. But in general, a couple of watts per gallon would be minimum to me to get started with easy corals.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

This depends on the depth of your tank. It is true that the lumen or PAR are cumulative but lesser wattage LED would have difficulty on penetrating the bottom of tank. This is why LED lenses with narrow angle like 90 deg are available so it can zoom in efficiently to the bottom. Actinic can also go deeper more efficiently compared to full spectrum like the 10000k.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank is 22" deep. Either way I am thinking it would be helpful to read the actual par rating in the tank.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marineland Reef Capable specs says that at 24 inch below, the PAR is 64 in the middle. Front and back would be about 15. With your additional actinic it would be approximately twice as that.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

If it is double that in the middle you are saying that at 24" below the fixture it is 128? Obviously this would be somewhat of a guess but I can't assume the par is doubled from what it was before I added the extra actinic can I?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes actinic contributes more PAR than full spectrum. Since Marineland has about 3340 lumen and your strip assuming has 2600 then the ratio would be about 2/3. So the total PAR would have another 2/3 PAR of Marineland.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaquarius View Post
Yes actinic contributes more PAR than full spectrum. Since Marineland has about 3340 lumen and your strip assuming has 2600 then it would be reasonable to get the ratio which is 2/3. So the total PAR would have another 2/3 PAR of Marineland.
I am confused about your statement that actinic contributes more PAR than white light (full spectrum).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1918382

Actinic light is used to color up the corals.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
I am confused about your statement that actinic contributes more PAR than white light (full spectrum).
Most corals prefer shorter wavelength lights which is the actinic. Given same wattage and lumen for actinic and full range (10000k) the PAR of actinic is more than the other.

Tags
actinic, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com