Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I don't recall Greg ever stating that he was unsuccessful with just blues, I just think he likes the look of multi colors.
What are you proposing? That I'm not telling the truth and I'm actually using a full spectrum light source and want people to believe they are ok with just blue light? What would I have to gain?
A lot of articles on the internet are copied and pasted information. I'm only speaking from my own personal experience. Factual data.
The idea that red light is necessary for coral growth seems ridiculous to me since red is filtered out by the time you are 30 feet below the surface.
You are correct, I like the look of broad spectrum, but never claim that it is needed for optimum growth. If you dive and have been below about 50' there are no long frequencies, at all. They have blue to work with and that's it. Only after you turn on your broad spectrum light sources when at depth do you see the corals color.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I don't recall Greg ever stating that he was unsuccessful with just blues, I just think he likes the look of multi colors.
What are you proposing? That I'm not telling the truth and I'm actually using a full spectrum light source and want people to believe they are ok with just blue light? What would I have to gain?
A lot of articles on the internet are copied and pasted information. I'm only speaking from my own personal experience. Factual data.
The idea that red light is necessary for coral growth seems ridiculous to me since red is filtered out by the time you are 30 feet below the surface.
What I am saying is that there are lots of corals that will grow only in deeper water with only blues while there are also corals that will only grow in shallow water where there is plenty of sunlight which is full spectrum. Now if you bring some corals that are only found in shallow water to deeper water and vice versa, what do you think will happen?

Old 07-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
What will happen is that they will brown out because there isn't enough PAR, but take that blue light down there at 30 feet or wherever, and increase it, and you'll grow any coral under it. This is what I am doing right now. Corals that grow in shallow waters don't need red and green, they just need more PAR than the deeper water ones. Put a ton of blue light over an acropora, and it will certainly grow and look great. As a matter of fact, it will look better than it would under the same amount of PAR coming from a lower K source.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
What will happen is that they will brown out because there isn't enough PAR, but take that blue light down there at 30 feet or wherever, and increase it, and you'll grow any coral under it. This is what I am doing right now. Corals that grow in shallow waters don't need red and green, they just need more PAR than the deeper water ones. Put a ton of blue light over an acropora, and it will certainly grow and look great. As a matter of fact, it will look better than it would under the same amount of PAR coming from a lower K source.
How much of that is due to very short frequencies, even UV penetrating down deep enough that those corals color up to protect themselves?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

You lost me. UV penetrates how deep?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
You lost me. UV penetrates how deep?
http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/144/m144p109.pdf

UV at about 350nm penetrates surprisingly deep. And it would seem at 30' or less it contributes to some protective coloration. How do you see it working? If 455nm penetrates down deep, it would seem 350nm would penetrate as deep.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. so, explain the coloration of my corals under just the blues, allegedly at 460nm and nothing else. They look nearly as good as the ones in the main tank. The reason I say they look less colorful is the lack of PAR.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That's not what I was saying. I agree with you about PAR, I am just trying to sort out the effect, if any, short frequencies like UV have on coral color and growth. As you noted, using short blue frequencies tend to color up the coral more than the browns you get under other lighting. You think that is PAR related or the coloration of the light?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's certainly not UV or lack thereof. Yes, I do think PAR has a lot to do with coloration. I don't think UV has anything to do with it.
This statement "Our experiences suggest that coral coloration is a response to PAR levels, not UV. In short, we find no reason to subject reef aquaria to high UV levels. "
taken from this article-
Ultraviolet Light, Marine Aquariums and Coral Reef Aquarium Tank, Stand, Canopy, and Aquarium Filter System
backs me up.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Just asking a theoretical question as a Internet search will yield evidence towards both sides. As usual.

Tags
actinic, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com