Actinic or 50/50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am replacing my florescent bulb... It is a single bulb fixture and wanted to hear some thoughts on which would look better.... I have a 72 bow front cichlid tank.... Thanks

Actinic Lamps

I am replacing my florescent bulb... It is a single bulb fixture and wanted to hear some thoughts on which would look better.... I have a 72 bow front cichlid tank.... Thanks

Hello Bmac...

I've used Actinic bulbs in my planted tanks and am not impressed with the intensity. The blue-grey color in the bulbs I have isn't the right spectrum for my low to moderate light plants. I'm switching them out for 6700K, T5s. These are 28 watt and my plants do much better with the higher intensity and lighter blue color.

Just my observations after using the Actinics for close to a year.

B

Hey bbradbury... Mine is an unplanted tank and I have read that it shows of the colors of the fish... Thanks for the input!

I have 3x 50/50 in my tank and everything is thriving. 10k/actinic. I plan on upgrading to LEDs very soon though

If you just use one actinic alone everything will be waaaaaay blue/purple. Below is just my actinic on. I'd go 50/50 and if you want a little more blue add a small blue led strip as well. Actually don't have any of just actinic (got rid) but its very similar to the moon light blue pic below but more purple and bright. Second pic is my old set up with 2 t5 (one 50/50 and one 10k bulb I think) along with the t8 actinic on at same time. Gives nice bit of blue when combined w "normal lights" good luck.

Attachments

• image-3316729332.jpg
    image-3316729332.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-3667971496.jpg
    image-3667971496.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 75
I agree with erik. Use bulbs that will make your coral thrive, not look cool. Use blue leds or accent lighting for the effect your looking for. I put a 6ft led strip in my hood lamp but only have them on for show

Thanks for the advice guys.... I went with the 50/50 and tank looks great!! What is the deal with the led strips?how do they attach to hood?... Thanks!

I got the one with the sticky back and spiraled ir in my hood light. It came with a remote and dim options. Ebay it

Thanks for the advice guys.... I went with the 50/50 and tank looks great!! What is the deal with the led strips?how do they attach to hood?... Thanks!

My tank had a glass top so I just laid the LED on top of the glass behind the stock fluorescent fixture

I have seen a video on YouTube with that set up. He had a marineland single bright in back of his florescent...is that the set up you have and if so how does it look?

I have seen a video on YouTube with that set up. He had a marineland single bright in back of his florescent...is that the set up you have and if so how does it look?

Funny you should say that right now I have I had marine land double bright LED behind my stock fluorescent and it just stays hidden and isn't noticeable I like to start one in front to keep that fresh normal look. There isn't even a bulb in the fluorescent stock thing now. I don't have any top on the tank either just Ally DN like strip if it's there fine. Also prior to the setup I had used a glass top with Marine land double bright in back With the stock fluorescent hood in front of it with no bulb in it and under it where bulb goes i I placed a LED light strip it just sat there under it on the glass hidden. The pic below was with the double Bright in back and the blue LED under the stock holder in front look at the cool blue gives it. Sorry if there's a bunch of typos I'm using the talk to text

Attachments

• image-2129614865.jpg
    image-2129614865.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
Tank looks great... I may try that setup... I don't want to lose the oak look with a black top ... I like the 50/50 look but am looking for a little more effect... Took a picture with my iPhone... But lighting is way better in person...

image-1555753760.jpg

Tank looks great... I may try that setup... I don't want to lose the oak look with a black top ... I like the 50/50 look but am looking for a little more effect... Took a picture with my iPhone... But lighting is way better in person...

Nice setup! Love the rock work. What kinda substrate?

It was cichlid sand with the live bacteria ... It's black and white but the picture is crappy.... The fish love it and it is easy cleanup

Back
Top Bottom