Active carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi could people tell me their views an active carbon is it a good thing or bad thing
Personally i don't use it and i would only use it if i wanted to remove Meds if i had to treat the tank, which 2+ years on i haven't had to!!!.
Are you using it or thinking of using it to polish the water??

Ok I am using it as I was told it would make my fish tank healthy because I'm trying to breed my electric blue rams but mabe not a good Idea to keep it in there

No it was a friend who also keeps fish I've been told good things and bad things about it will it harm tank if I keep it in there I heard it would kill off my live plants

No it was a friend who also keeps fish I've been told good things and bad things about it will it harm tank if I keep it in there I heard it would kill off my live plants
Sorry!!. It's usually the lfs that tell people to use it, so you keep buying it..$$$. It won't 'harm' the tank, it's just a waste of money if you don't need it. It's used to clear Meds, polish and remove odours from the water. If you don't have any of these issue's then i wouldn't use it.. I use Purigen to polish my water. It is an extra expense that you don't need..
On the live plants, i think you could be right, but to be honest i'm not sure, i currently don't have any. I'm sure someone else could answer that one for you...

Yeah I no way you mean there a pain for that thanks for you help I think it also take out the nutrients out of the tank for the plants

Yeah I no way you mean there a pain for that thanks for you help I think it also take out the nutrients out of the tank for the plants
That's exactly what it does, i couldn't think of the word!!!. Try Seachem Purigen, it'll do the same job(apart from the Med removal) and will work out cheaper...

Back
Top Bottom