Actual vs advertised flow rates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any numbers re: the actual flow rate with filter media, for the MarineLand Penguin 200 filter?

I'm not sure how to ever figure this out, I have always just took off 5o from the recommended gph. If water flow/movement is what you are looling for I'd add a power head.

greetings.

from what i have heard, the flow in gallon per unit of time in an hour is measured before putting any filter medium in the filter, beyond that, clogging of pipes and the filter media will start to decrease the efficiency. however, it sould be possible for someone with one of those filters in use to measure their current effectiveness, by measuring how long it takes the filter to fill a bucket of water, take the time of it and then figure out how many gallons of throughput there is per hour.

Last edited:
to demonstrate:

eheim 2426, baseline factory throughput: 1050 L/H

the filter output hose filled 5 liters of water into a bucket in 45 seconds

that means that for every 45 secounds, we have a throughput of 5 liters.
there are 60 * 60 = 3600 secounds in an hour, 3600 / 45 = 80 times 45 secounds
80 * 5 = actual throughput.

that... is 400 L/H, 38% of factory specified throughput.
granted, i am running a co2 reactor and the filter hasn't been cleaned for 2 weeks, but that is just horrible.

I'm not sure how to ever figure this out, I have always just took off 5o from the recommended gph. If water flow/movement is what you are looling for I'd add a power head.

I'm actually trying to see what I'm really getting out of my 2 Penguin 200s so that I get the same out of a single canister...

I got a response from MarineLand. The flow rates they list for all of their filter systems are with an empty filter box/canister, no media whatsoever. Since I have a spare 200, I will use part of the holiday weekend to measure actual flow.

dmolavi said:
I got a response from MarineLand. The flow rates they list for all of their filter systems are with an empty filter box/canister, no media whatsoever. Since I have a spare 200, I will use part of the holiday weekend to measure actual flow.

It will drop a good bit I'm sure

Andrew McFadden said:
It will drop a good bit I'm sure

I will consider myself lucky if I get 50% of the stated flow rate. I will measure with a variety of filter combinations, as well.

dmolavi said:
I will consider myself lucky if I get 50% of the stated flow rate. I will measure with a variety of filter combinations, as well.

Make sure you test with some what cloged up filter pads too, since that would be normal. Holding bacteria if you know what I mean. I can't wait to see maybe someday ill test my canisters

i've got a reply from eheim, the particular filter i measured is predicted to perform 750 L/H once you add filter media and hoses.

since eheim is one of the industrys leaders, this could very well be the industry standard.
this would mean that filters perform 70% of the manufacturer specified throughput once you set it up.

Back
Top Bottom