added filter capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fatfei

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a ex700 tetratec filter running which a clean every two months. I have a spare ex700 too. Will adding another mean I can double the the cleaning to four months?

Thanks in advance

Fatfei

Not really. The original filter is going to get just as dirty in two months as it ever did. Filtering water does not take the place of regular WC's

foster53 said:
Not really. The original filter is going to get just as dirty in two months as it ever did. Filtering water does not take the place of regular WC's

Hi,

I know water checks would still need to be done weekly. I was just hoping for less filter maintenance.

Thanks for the reply.

fatfei said:
I have a ex700 tetratec filter running which a clean every two months. I have a spare ex700 too. Will adding another mean I can double the the cleaning to four months?

Thanks in advance

Fatfei

Yes it will prolong your filter maintnence. If you have one filter on a tank let's say it takes 2 weeks till it needs cleaned. If you add a second filter, in 2 weeks your one filter has only filtered half the crap that it used to because the second filter filtered the other half. Soooooo in theory it should prolong cleaning your filters. And as far as the other comment about cleaning filters every week, I was under the impression that you clean them when they get gunked up or you notice a drop in filtration. Everyone has there own way of doing things, and just because someone does it differently doesn't exactly mean that its wrong

Well, actually, it kind of is wrong unless your keeping a single hermit lol. Waiting until it gets clogged is wayyyy too long. The more you rinse out the pads the less buildup you'll have resulting in much better water quality and lower nitrates and phosphates. That's a fact.

I was just answering the op's question. He said he does filter maintnence every 2 months and was wondering if adding a second filter would let him go 4 months. Sadly, the answer is yes, as I explained. And I never said wait till it gets clogged. I guess I did use the wrong term when I said gets gunked up. I was pretty much just sayin if its not broke don't fix it! Now if the op was having problems with water quality or fish dying then id suggest to do cleanings and all the good stuff more often. To the op, how often do you gravel vac and pwc? normally people gravel vac once a week, MAYBE once every 2 weeks depending on feeding, stock, and plants. Live plants help with water quality. When I do my gravel vac with a regular gravel vac, not a python just regular syphon (which is every week) I vac the bottom as clean as I can get it then just let the vac continue to syphon water out till I get the desired amount of water out for my pwc. I swish my cartridges in old tank water to get the crap off of them. I don't replace them until they are falling apart. Its one of the things I've learned since being on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom