Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Adding Kent Float Valve to sump from existing RO/DI line

I purchased a Kent Float Valve (KFV) off of eBay.. I already have an RO system, and just added a DI filter on the line t'd off to go to my sump (replace evaporated H2O) and new water resevoir (for new salt water). My RO system has it's own holding tank, it's own auto shut-off, etc., and is used for our drinking water as well.

Can I just put the KFV in my sump, with a line from my RO/DI system feeding it? It came with a solenoid, but I think that is just to auto shut-off the RO if necessary..is that right? The KFV manual says "not to be used in sump", so I don't know if that is just "guidance" or fact for some reason. I have read other posts of people using this valve for their sumps, or so i thought...

I just want an easy way to replace evaporated water steadily throughout the day and thought this would work.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's what I've got in my sump, don't see why they wouldn't recommend it. mine didn't come with instructions. but it works just fine in the sump. you don't need the solenoid if you have the auto shut-off on the RO.

One thing that I would do though is look at the end of the float switch where the nylon nut will screw onto the black threaded part of the float switch. If it is uneven from the factory mold, you need to sand it flush to avoid leaks when the float is closed. The back pressure will cause a leak through the uneven fitting between the 2 pieces. a small little O ring will help too.

Ryan

Old 03-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great! Thanks for the advice Ryan. I'll check out the float switch per your advice.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

no prob!

Tags
line, ro/di, sting, sump, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com