adding sump to system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, i am not sure if this has already been covered, all the topics seem to mold together after about 6 hours of reading. Anyhow, to the questions. I have a 20gal fowlr.....nano reef in progress. I would like to add a sump, to gather the added benefits. My question is, what is the best way to do this? I have done ALOT of reading and research on this topic and everything i have read leaves me worried for the sake of my fish. I was thinking about using a 10gal tank for the sump but, my tank, of course, is not drilled so i would have to implement an overflow, which is fine, but my worry is if it fails..... i have x amount of water flowing from sump and over the walls of my tank. I guess im just letting the "what if's" get the best of me. Any advice on how to go about this addition?

Never used an overflow box, but I believe some work better than others and have more fail-safe operations to prevent flooding. Hopefully some will chime in and help you out on this. I've also heard that re-starting the siphon after a power failure could be more of an issue. There also, I believe I've heard some say certain types work better with that too.

Back
Top Bottom