Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I wouldn't worry about the shrimp jumping, but i've heard stories of zebra danios jumping. I had zebra danios in a topless tank and never had issues, but every fish has a different personality. it's definitely not bad to take precautions though.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I kept finding RCS cooked under my lights until I put the rest of the plastic extension back on my glass canopy.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right, so I caved and dished out the money.

This is what I got:

Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 30-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Zoo Med Flora Sun Plant Bulb T5 High Output 24 Watts, 22-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight Bulb T5 High Output 24 Watts, 22-Inch: Kitchen & Dining
Amazon.com: Perfecto Glass Canopy 30 Inch: Everything Else

I liked the fixture more than the one you recommended due to the dual switches to manually control each light. I may get a timer to keep the tank on a schedule.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's the fixture that I recently bought as well - I like it a lot. BUT - The clamps that hold the light to the tank don't allow room for the glass cover that sits down in the rim of the tank... You run into the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteWildfire View Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Same exact issue. I was quite irritated by that. Although I did find that with the heat the fixture put off, it was warming the water in my tank. Yesterday, I removed the glass canopy and had fans blowing on the fixture and over the water. Temps have dropped.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Interestingly enough - while I thought the heat from those lights would warm my water - that hasn't really been the case. Of course, we keep our house at aroun 72-74 degrees, so I guess that may help some. I do have increased evaporation - which probably helps with keeping the temp of the tank reasonable.

Also - my target tank temperature is 80, so that may be a factor as well.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a Marine Land 28g Euro bow front with a glass top. As soon as my fishless cycle is complete, I plan to add plants and a new light strip with brackets that hold it above the tank. I'm concerned about the comments of the glass top interfering with the brackets.

Do you think it is possible to get a glass cutter and notch the top to make room for the brackets? I'm hoping that would solve the problem.

The other post regarding the water heating up due to the new fixture directly on the top doesn't sound good. I will HAVE to run a top because I don't want to deal with evaporation and/or fish jumping. It sounds like brackets for the fixture combined with the glass top are a must.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by royta
I have a Marine Land 28g

Do you think it is possible to get a glass cutter and notch the top to make room for the brackets? I'm hoping that would solve the problem.
depends on the light you get. The ZooMed fixture I bought is rather bulky and even if I could trim the glass hood, it wouldn't leave enough of a "lip" to support the lid.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could always hang the fixture. IMO, I wouldn't worry about jumping. It hasn't happened to me in over 5 years.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by royta
I have a Marine Land...

Depends on the light's bracket design. The ZooMed's bracket is bulky and even if I were to cut/trim the glass lid, there wouldn't be enough "lip" to support that lid.

Tags
light, lighting, plant, planted, planted aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com