Adequate support for 90 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchased a new stand from Petsmart that was rated to hold up to an 80 gallon tank or 800 lbs. The base of the stand was a perfect match for my tank (48 x 18 inches), however I didn't realize that my tank was slightly higher than the specified measurements on the box. Consequently, it appears as if I have a 90 gallon aquarium. My question is, do manufacturers tend to "under estimate" these maximum weight restrictions ... or is there a little room to work with? Do you think that an additional 10 gallons is significant???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I personally wouldn't risk it, always better to go with something that can carry more than you have, just like with skimmers, filters etc

I would return it and find something suitable for your dimensions. You don't want to chance it, fill up ninety gallons and discover all that water on your floor one morning. Even going over, like a stand for a 125g, you should be careful. Stands will be made to allow for particular stress on particular places. If your tank doesn't fit properly, then the stress of your tank's weight could hit a weaker spot. Do you have a shape weird 90g tank?

Either get a new stand, build your own or bulk it up with some 2x4's. Better safe than sorry when dealing with larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom