Advice for a newbie with Fluval 406 on the way...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N757QQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howdy er'body.

I have an 'established' 55g Malawi Peacock Cichlid tank with an Aqueon 55/75 HOB filter. While the water quality is great, and all of my levels test fine, I am wanting to get the filter out of the tank. With that in mind, I purchased a Fluval 406 Canister filter that will be here Friday. I have a few questions about changing over, some accessories & such.

First, I currently have the filter media out of the HOB & am letting it run to just circulate water, as I have 1 fish that is not eating & staying in my plant by itself. I am thinking it might have bloat, as I saw white feces hanging from him last night. So I am currently treating the entire tank of 15 cichlids to be safe, though they are all eating. To get back to the point, Friday, I plan to do a 50% WC & re-setup the filtration assuming he continues to improve & continues to eat.

How do I change over to a new filter without having to recycle the tank? Can I run both to allow the bacteria to migrate (if that is even possible) for a few days before going solely to the Fluval? Or will I have to let it run to build up bacteria?

I also want to get the heater out of the tank at the same time. I have read up a bit on the inline heater once I discovered that it was an option, but did not get any clear information on a quality heater nor on other items I will need to purchase to make the change over to an inline possible. Any help here would be great.

Lastly, I have a bubbler in the tank to help agitate the surface for better gas exchange due to the number of fish in the tank. Can I remove that & is it best to set up the out flow hose to agitate the surface, or for current, or will gas exchange be okay without the bubbler?

Thanks in advance,

N

Back
Top Bottom