advice on measuring thickness of tank glass that I can't access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GGonzo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in need of some creative advice, I have a tiki tank and I think it's a terrarium but I don't know. The guy I got it from said he kept fresh water fish in it for 5 years with no issues. I know the smart thing to do is measure the thickness of the glass to see if it's an aquarium or a terrarium....but it's encased in the tiki hut and so I can't measure the thickness of the glass. Does anyone know of a way around this? I will try to post a picture in-case that helps... Thank you all in advance!

pics

i don't think my pic uploaded, let me try again.... Ok, the 3rd pic shows a seam at the bottom of the tank, this isn't a feature I'm familiar with but I thought perhaps it might mean something to someone more familiar with aquariums/terrariums.

Attachments

• tank 3.jpg
    tank 3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 79
  • tank 4.jpg
    tank 4.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 69
  • tank 2.jpg
    tank 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 82
  • tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 66
looks like an aquarium with a custom stand/canopy to me.
The only real test is fill it with water.
I wouldn't worry about the middle seam, it looks good.

I filled it with water when I got it and it didn't leak, but I only had it in there for about an hour. The glass looks kind of thick to me...but I jut can't get to it to measure it to be certain. Sure would be messy if I was wrong :)
The only thing that makes me doubt that it is an aquarium is the fact that all the tiki style tanks I can find images for on the internet are decorated as terrariums/vivariums. I have yet to see one set up as a fish tank.
Thanks for the info on the strip at the bottom of the tank, just wasn't sure what to make of that thing.

The add in piece on the bottom appears to be covering a joint. That seems a little unusual for a tank meant to be used as an aquarium. I have seen it before on tanks that were over 8' long, but it seems odd in a tank of that size.
If you want to get the glass thickness, measure inside, then add some blocks to a couple of straight boards or other straight edged material
that can extend around the tiki, and measure in between. Subtract the thickness of the blocks, divide by 2 and you have glass thickness

Back
Top Bottom