Advice on Nitrate Reducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, but 50% water changes in a brackish tank every week isn't such a little deal in terms time or money. If i could use this or a similar product to put off WC to every other weeks that would be dramatically better. I never had any problem doing weeklys in my FW tanks for 12 years, but brackish is a little different.

Nitrate Reducer

Ok, but 50% water changes in a brackish tank every week isn't such a little deal in terms time or money. If i could use this or a similar product to put off WC to every other weeks that would be dramatically better. I never had any problem doing weeklys in my FW tanks for 12 years, but brackish is a little different.

Hello again D...

I use a couple of teaspoons of standard aquarium salt in every 5 gallons of my replacement water, so technically, I have brackish water tanks. I have a 45 G "biotope" tank, that doesn't really need water changes, just a water top off a couple of times a week (see attached pics). It uses land plants and the plant roots to filter out the water pollutants. I remove a few gallons of tank water every week to rinse out the filtration media, but that's it. The tank still needs the standard HOB filtration to remove pollutants at night when the plants rest. Might be an option for putting off water changes in your tank with no harm done to the fish.

B

wow awesome tank!

I will probably put some java fern plants in to help with water quality, but there are only a few plants that "do well" in brackish water.

For brackish, you need to put in marine salt and i put in about 1 cup (between one cup and a half of a cup) of salt in per 5 gallons, so it gets pricey. I don't believe that a couple of table spoons of aquarium salt would even register on hobby grade hydrometers and even refractometers.

Hopefully the jave fern will help in some way...

Back
Top Bottom