Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I made this, so I can run a garden hose from my brute to my living room up in to my 75g which is a little over 4 feet high with stand. Then when I want to drain water I just take the pump, put it in the tank and run the hose out the door (in winter I'll run it into the tub). It's a Marineland Maxi-Jet Submersible Utility Pump 1100, can also be used outside of water.

75 Gallon Saltwater Reef;

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I thought about the pond pumps but I didn't think they would work with his desired head height and the sump pump will easily do that and them some.

Those Who Lack The Courage Will Always Find A Philosophy To Justify It.
Please Support The Cares Preservation Program <---Click Here For Information.
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Keybler View Post
I like power when buying something, I realy do but

Discharge Flow @ 15 ft. (gallons/hour) : 800

Might be a bit much power, 80 seems like a good price to be able to pump distance.

Maybe I should of said this in the first post. but i'm pumping 30 to 50 gallons (depending on what I buy). I need a pump that can do 6 to 10 feet. every time I do a water change either the gravel or a plant gets alittle messed up, just from the water flow of me pouring a 5 gallon jug into it. I'll talk to my plumber roommate to see if there is a way to limit that with vavles or/over flow, back into the holding tank or something, without hurting the motor.

Just use the valve to adjust the flow on the pump(if it has one) or throttle it down with a valve,dont bother pumping any back to the holding tank as throttling back pumps actually prolong the life of them.
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Keybler View Post
I need a pump that will suck water out of a 5gallon jug and pull it 4 feet up to the pump? and then push the water up to 3 feet up.

Can you submerse the pump and run it at a 7 foot head? Alternatively, can you place the pump lower than the water level supplying it so the supply ends up siphoning into the pump?

I think the problem may be that you're trying to suck the water 4 feet up and then push it 3 more feet. Any pump I've ever seen that can do that has to be primed each time and is generally a larger pump. (To put it another way, you'll have to fill the pump volute and supply line with water.) The pumps we normally deal with in the hobby actually just push water out of themselves and the supply water rushes in from a siphon or because it is submersed. (In other words, they don't really suck, they blow. That's why you have to have water in a HOB filter for it to start working once you plug it in.) If you don't prime, the impeller just churns the air around itself (sometimes called cavitation) without drawing a vacuum on the supply side. If you have the ability to prime each time (Maybe by actually starting a siphon from the container you're filling back down to the 5 gallon jug, and then powering up the pump), this isn't that big of a deal. However, I think you'll need to look for a pump that can still push a 7' head at the flow you need.

I work with large (by hobbyist standards anyway) pumps in the construction industry. I don't know if there is an aquarium hobbyist version of a diaphragm pump or "mud hog" (these don't use an impeller) that might work or not.
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
ehiem pumps can suck and pump,can be external or submersed

Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com