Aeration with Canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky2335r

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey folks, my tank is plumbed with bulkheads for my canister filter and I'm wondering if I need additional aeration since the outflow is about 5" below the water line. The outflow is pointed towards the surface, but I'm not sure how much agitation/flow would be sufficient for proper aeration. I've got an airstone in the tank to help with this, but I'd rather go without it.

20150330_140106.jpg

20150330_140044.jpg

Wow that looks like a nice setup. I'd say with the nozzle pointed up like that, you're probably doing good for aeration. Are those live plants in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could swap out the air stone with a powerhead if the bubbles/noise are not your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Surface aeration is more about ensure fresh water is brought to the surface continually, and no surface scum is accumulating to insulate it from the air. It's not about creating splashes really, so I think you are fine if that area covers a significant portion of your tank area. Good flow over a large area is more important than vigorous agitation.

Thanks

Thanks all for the advice, I think I should be good with setup as is. Since this is plumbed for my filter, I don't have anything hanging in the tank but the tube for the airstone, and I'd like to remove that as well so I have "clean" look.

Oh, and the plants are fake but I think I may dive into live plants in the near future.

Here's a shot of the whole setup for anyone interested.

35gal%2B03.27.15.jpg

Back
Top Bottom