AHH! Fire hazard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was attempting to clean the reflector on my Coralife PC light fixture today. When I pulled off the side cover I noticed a wire nut was brown. Upon closer examination it turns out the thing is burned and melted along with maybe 1" of wire on either side. The insulation is all still there, it's just all bubbly and melted. I can't figure out how to get the fixture apart to try to repair it, any ideas? I really don't wanna scrap the thing and buy a new one. (Overall it works just fine) I'd try to take a picture but it's pretty cramped.

can you get the wire nut off? If so you should be able to put "heat shrink" on the wire, and replace the wire nut. I would also buy some liquid electrical tape and try to seal up the wire nut with it along with all the other wire nuts in there to keep the water out, even a little moisture can cause problems. You can get all this at your local auto parts store. And if you cant find liquid electrical tape pure silicone will work.

I feel really dumb now xD. There are two vent holes cut in the top of the fixture, and lucky me the wires pop out of them quite easily. I cut off the burned wire and attached a new wire nut. I wrapped some electrical tape around the bottom. Fire hazard is nomore!

Has anyone else had a problem with Coralife PC lights?

Back
Top Bottom