Air getting into canister and maintenance suggestions please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMaier

Aquarium Advice Addict
My canister is getting a bit of air in it. I cleaned it last week and burped it a few times. But it’s still getting air somehow. I checked all the hoses. I tipped it in all directions and no water leak so I don’t think it’s the main o ring.

I’m suspecting the piece where the hoses connect to the canister. I see a few o rings around each nozzle.

How should I troubleshoot this?

And what sort of routine maintenance should I be doing to keep things running right?

You know that seems like the same issue I had I replaced the hoses to get a tighter fit and it seemed to work . also check the nipples the hoses attach to they could have a hair line crack crazy glue fixed mine. one other thought you don't have a bubbler by your intake tube do you that could cause the air in the canister .

No bubbler. We trimmed the hose and made sure that baby was on tight. It seems better today. I’m not getting the gurgle sputter every hour or so as the air builds. Perhaps I didn’t have the nozzles seated well enough ?

Is this the sun sun canister? Is it possible that the the main seal needs to be replaced? I would not know how to test for that though.

It’s a Sunsun. What is the main seal? Is it around the priming button?

When you remove the “head” (upper part with the motor) from the body of the canister... im referring to the seal that the head sits on. I’m thinking that with the negative pressure in the body of the canister, a seal that is not sitting flush with the surfaces might be allowing air to come in.

Okie dokie.

We are in full Christmas decoration mode at the moment. But as soon as that’s done it will take the canister apart and check it. It’s far enough away from our bedroom that the gurgles aren’t audible so it can wait a few more days.

Pulled everything apart today. Replaced the o ring and lubed it. Also lubed the smaller o rings on the connect where the hoses. It not as bad but I still hear a bit of a gurgle. I filled it and tipped to get all the air out too. No water leaking just air getting in.

I suspect the quick connection might have a break in the seals somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom