Air pump damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will it damage an air pump that has two outlets, if one is stopped up. I always plug up the outlet that I am not using.

I would say yes. The back pressure will damage the valves and/or diaphragm. These can be replaced of course.
What you should do is get a Tee to join both outputs to a single line and then connect that to a 3 way or gang valve. That way you can open one value to supply air to the tank and another to to handle the excess air.

I would say yes. The back pressure will damage the valves and/or diaphragm. These can be replaced of course.
What you should do is get a Tee to join both outputs to a single line and then connect that to a 3 way or gang valve. That way you can open one value to supply air to the tank and another to to handle the excess air.

That is a pretty good idea about the valve. The only reason I don't want to leave it open was that it was more noisy. I put a T in it and connected it, and it blew more bubbles than I would prefer.

I'll try that valve, and hopefully it won't make too much noise.

Try the valve. If the open valve is still making too much noise then connect a length of airline to it and place the end in a sock to muffle the sound.

Try the valve. If the open valve is still making too much noise then connect a length of airline to it and place the end in a sock to muffle the sound.

I have a long peace on of air line on the outlet I'm not using. It works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom