Air Pump.. finally got a quiet one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joedarat

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got rid of the tetratec and bought a rena air pump (100) from bigalsonline..

MUCH quieter.. i have it suspended between the power cord and airline tubing.. works great.

:gangsta: ( tetratec 100)

I have looked around for the "Maika Mini-500" but I can't seem to find it anywhere... Any good place online to buy? If not, the ones by Rena sound good. I have had a "Whisper"10 in the past which was far too loud to even sleep in the same room with. I almost went with Tetratec assuming that the higher quality would solve the sound problem. Good to know that isn't the case...

The Dolphin pumps are pretty quiet as well. I have a 5 star (4 outlet with rheostat) running on a tank and you can't hear it at all.

my whisper is extremely loud, i dont know how i fall asleep in my room with it running, the sound must travel into the water, and if i were a fish id get annoyed. i need to find a quiet one.

I just bought one of the new marineland pumps. Haven't received it yet, but Im hoping it's quiet!

oldshell4481 said:
my whisper is extremely loud, i dont know how i fall asleep in my room with it running, the sound must travel into the water, and if i were a fish id get annoyed. i need to find a quiet one.

You are correct! A lot of pump noise goes right into the tank. Once in the tank, it is free to annoy your fish and reverbrate out of the tank to annoy you. The proof is in the pump noise differnce with the airhose connected and disconnected. The pump is quiter with the hoses connected because the noise is going down the hose and into the tank. You can build a muffler for the pump, that reduces the noise in the tank:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0016.htm

A sillly little project that costs little. check it out.

Attachments

• muffler_upload_1_898.jpg
    muffler_upload_1_898.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom