Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Air Pump for 180 gallon setup

I am looking for an air pump for my 180 gallon tank. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have been reading and it seems the coralife luft aquarium pump is pretty good.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

what do you need it for? ugf?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

really dont need a air pump in most tanks. do you want it for looks or like what mfdrookie said for a use like ugf?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

I am just looking to use it for some air stones/bars across the back of my tank.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

to be honest with you, they are not needed, and imo, they take away from the look of the tank and make it look fake. they go good with the neon gravel and tie dye decor you can get at petsmart, but i really dont think they look good in a tank... but thats just my opinion...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #6

so it is not necessary to have aeration in the tank. I was told it was good to release gases?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

surface agitation is what helps with oxygen exchange... an air pump doesnt actually put air in the water, it just disturbs the surface, which helps with getting oxygen in the water... I dont have air pumps on any of my tanks, my filters provide enough surface agitation... If you dont have much surface agitiation, you may want to consider a spray bar if you run a canister filter or a wet/dry setup... i just think that air stones and wands/bars/etc make the tank look all phony, and take away from the natural look... remember, lakes and rivers dont have air pumps in them, the wind and currents and waterfalls (if they have them) do the work, same thing as filters

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I dont have air pumps on any of my tanks, my filters provide enough surface agitation...

Tags
180 gallon, air, air pump, pump, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com