Air pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhomis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I am new to this group and I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm shopping for an air pump and I need to know which of these is the quietest:

Pondmaster AP-40
Hiblow HP 40
Alita AL-40
Blue Diiamond Enviro ET40
Medo LA-45C
Jehmco LPH45

I know what it says as far as noise decibels on their respective websites, but I was wondering if anyone had first-hand experience with any of these pumps and how they compare to each other. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Hello and welcome! Those are brands I am not familiar with.

Two specifically I find to be excellent and quiet air pumps are Whisper Tetra (mine is Whisper which I guess was bought by Tetra), it sits on rubbery feet, and Million Air. Perhaps those are available and you can check their decibel level with ones you mention.

Diaphragm pumps

I try once something technical.

In the home aquarium diaphragm pumps are used. (Brummer)

Construction:

An electromagnet, U-core. Before the ends of the iron core is a permanent magnet. It covers the open side of the magnetic circuit.
The permanent magnet mounted on a movable lever. He can not touch the iron core, but it moves to the right and left by electrically changing the direction of current (AC, 50 Hz)
Half the length of this lever is the pump body is fastened inside the housing.
The membrane is like a rubber cap. In the middle it has a stylus. Which is connected to the lever.
When the lever is moved, the space changes under the cap.
In the pump are two very simple valves. (A small rubber piece is over a small hole in the ground and is clamped at one end with a rubber stopper.) In the interior of the cap, the inletvalve When the space becomes larger, it opens, and air from the outside flows.
The exhaust valve is under the bottom of the pump. The same valve. If space is limited, it opened and air can into the tube.
The valve rubber are very thin. They shall be easily, or they can not follow the rapid movement. Bicycle tube is too thick. I suppose the rubber glove. (About 8 mm long, 4 mm wide, oval, 0.2 mm thick.)

Other things:

Diaphragm pumps should always be placed above the water level. Because power failure can not occur a water return pulse.
It's good to hang these pumps elastic. Then you do not have the sound transmission.

The air flow is very reduced, when the pressure increases. (The amplitude of the lever is smaller)
Therefore, if a plurality of outputs are connected to a pump and an air comes too little, the other not made narrow. This increases the pressure.
The clogged vents must be freed. New clean air stone ..

All those pumps are high volume ones for multiple tanks. Diaphragm pumps are usually the quietest. Blowers and linear piston pumps are both noisier, but not necessarily loud.

Our professional breeders use double piston pump. About a check valve, an air boiler is filled. The outputs are connected there. These pumps operate silently, have a long life. (Many years). The cylinders are perpendicular. This is little wear. Above is a crank. The pistons have cuffs with valve function. Material: Soft goatskin. It will not have much pressure, then the cuffs would invert. (In the case of air to close shortly, must be avoided).
The pressure is not higher than 50 cm for the water level is required. No danger. PVC hose. One or two such pumps are enough for a fish room
It is a geometric shift. The amount of air is not dependent of the pressure
At load only the rpm can be a little less.

Back
Top Bottom