Air pump size??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warped1

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I am at my lfs getting the equipment that you all helped me decide to get for my tank (much thanks again) I wish to buy an air pump and a bubble wall (the bubble wall is the only thing the air pump will be used for) I have decided on a Whisper, they are quiet and I never had a problem with them (or so I remember from long, long ago). But I am not sure on what size to get. The bubble wall will be an air stone about 8in long. The length of the tubing will be about 35in with 28 of those inches going down and into the tank. And while I've got you -- my lfs sells penn plax air stones - they look like a light blue tubular rod with suction cup attachments --- are this okay to use? -- Any suggestions to either problem would be appreciated - thanks

what size tank? I have the whisper 100 because I figured its only a few dollars more, lets have more air!

The problem is.. the whisper 100 is MUCH LOUDER than a whisper and has me wishing i was more frugal with the pump selection. 100 is not a whisper so I don't reccommend it unless you need it. My friend has the 40 and its silent as a mouse.

Glad to know the blue rod stone is fine and I don't think my lfs carry Rena pumps (whispers and something else) - If you don't mind another question -- Do these air stones have to be replaced or is there some sort of maintenance I must do with them? :hat:

Replace them when you notice that the air flow isn't sufficient. They are so cheap that I just toss them after a while.

Like any other decoration in the tank, you can wipe them off from time to time. This will prolong their life. But as Fishyfanatic said, they are cheap enough to toss when the airflow becomes insufficient.

Don't boil them! I boiled some sintered glass airstones once to clean them out. I boiled the blue rod ones once and they were ruined.

Back
Top Bottom