Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-24-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Air Pumps and NOISE

I know this is gonna sound weird considering some of the questions here---but it's making me crazy! I have a 20 gal tank just a few feet from my bed. I don't recall the air pump being this loud before though! I've had it for just over a year now, and recently switched from an air stone to an air tube (it's about 15 inches long) I noticed the noise before the switch and hoped the new tube would help. It hasn't. The noise is actually beginning to effect my sleep!

I've tried moving the tube to see if it's vibrating against the glass or stand, I've moved the pump itself to sit on a towel, I've even sat there holding the stupid thing to see if it's the stand it's sitting on---nope, just keeps up the racket.

Is it possible the pump is going bad? Could I unplug it during the night? Do I even need the air pump?? I have a Whisper 150 (I believe) filter, says it's good for up to a 30 gal, and I can definitely see the water movement when it's on high...Please help me before I end up looking like

Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
noisy airpump...

yes, chances are the pump is going bad. I am sure it is possible to get replacement parts but I don't know where or if it's worth it. I've taken a few pumps apart before and out of 3 or 4 broken ones, I got one working fairly well. You can unscrew the pump and look at whats wrong. Is it a single or a double line pump? I'm only asking because if it's one that has two pumps in it, you can usually compare one side with the other to notice the problem. Did you have that hose connected to an undergravel filter or just an airstone to see bubbles in the tank? You don't really need either with some other filter that's circulating the water for you. It sounds to me like you have enough flow. When I lived with my mom she would unplug all my fishtanks at night to save electricity. You could unplug it at night if you wanted to and it wouldn't cause any problems. The only thing is once they start going it wont be long till it's not pumping as much air as it should. The parts in there sort of just wear themselves out. Someone else might mention whether or not it's a good idea to try to fix one or where to get some parts for one... but since you have a decent filter already, if you just want the pump for a little extra O2 or circulation, or just for looks, you might just get a new one... can be a small one too... As long as it is still moving air and doesn't drive you too crazy during the day it wont hurt to run it... hope this helps...

Backyard Fellowship
millipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank for the fast response! I just have the hose connected to the air tube so I can see the bubbles. I got the great idea for the tube so that it's a wall of bubbles in the backround. Since it's OK to unplug it then plug it back in without ill effects to the fish I'm going to do that until I can get out to pick up another one. I gave a brief thought to fixing it...but then realised that's why we have a box full of other ones in the attic!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The tube might be more resistance than the airstone so the pump has to work harder to push air thru it. I have seen air pump referb kits in the stores. They usually are just replacment diaphrams. There might be some metal parts that you can use some light gun oil on to lube up.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air pump, air pumps, noise, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com