Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-28-2004, 11:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Air pumps..any quiet ones out there?

I bought a Tetra-Tec Air Pump #100.. and oh my, its louder than my fridge.. Does anyone have a recommendation for a real quiet one.. ?

joedarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Dont have one but read the Rena brand are about the most quiet made but dont put out enough air. Cost more of course.
You can try setting the pump on a sponge. To much back pressure can make them noisy.

A 37 GL but its really 27gl when full
Security at the expense of freedom results in neither.
chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
A mouse pad is a great thing to put one on, as well, since it won't vibrate off.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
hang it! just hang it off a shelf or something on a couple pieces of string or something similar, that should quieten it down.
chrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two Rena airpumps and they are quieter than anything else I've tried. I wonder if I hung them if they'd make any more noise than the bubbles do! I seem to have enough air bubbles too.
Allie, for the Common Goldfish
gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I have a Tetra-tec Deepwater 12 pump. That little thing can get quite loud! The source the buzz in mine was the airline coming from the pump, and going to the gang valve. I also have a checkvalve in that piece of tubing. If that piece of tubing, or the checkvalve, touched the counter, it would buzz very loudly. I put various things under the checkvalve to stop it from buzzing. What worked for me was to cut a plastic single-serving fruit cup bowl horizontally in half (this is what touches the counter now), and make 2 little notches in the top to allow the airline to rest. The checkvalve "hangs" in between the edges of the cup. It's pretty quiet now. I do have a pic that I could post later, if you want to see it.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:43 PM   #7
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
How much output do you need? The mousepad trick works well, bt there are some more quiet pumps, but they also tend to be a bit more pricey, and are usually made for multi-tank applications.
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
what are some of the more queit ones besides rena? I dont need a lot of output . The output that the tetra tec 100 has is sufficient.. I will try the sponge, mousepad, and hanging techniques in the meantime. thanks everyone for your replies
I miss my fish..
no tank
eheim 2026 waiting in the wings
joedarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would love to see a picture of you TetraTec Deepwater Air Pump setup! I have 24 version...and would like to quiet it down some

I picked up a Rena 300 in an attempt to have a more quiet pump....but it was TWICE AS LOUD as the TetraTec...and only about 1/2 of the bubble power. Expect to see it on ebay soon!
90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular
some one said a pump may be quieter but not enough bubbles? well theres a little thing that they make that goes on the end of the hose the spread out the bubbles and possibly make a LOT of smaller one

im sure almost everyone knew this but i was just letting u know, sometimes theyre in the reptile section

1667-Bubonic Plague-Never Forget
LestWeForget13 is offline   Reply With Quote

air, air pump, air pumps, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com