Air stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justcallmecute

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys. I got an Eheim air pump and it usually comes with a diffusor from Eheim. At the moment it is slowing down. Any suggestion of a good air stone?

I was thinking of this.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419170259.257287.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Air Stones

Hello Just...

An air stone will become plugged with tank material and will need to be boiled to clean it up for reuse. This one looks as good as any. What's your need for using it? Air stones don't add anything to the workings of the tank and the added surface agitation it makes will drive off CO2 the plants need.

If you just like the looks of the bubbles then any one will work.

B

As mentioned above, boiling is an effective method for cleaning an air stone. A soak in bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or vinegar followed by a good rinsing are other methods that can be used alone or along with boiling. I do not have air stones anymore but I do have ceramic diffusers for CO2 diffusion and use any of the above methods for periodic cleaning.
Just keep an eye on boiling plastic parts; they can melt and/or warp if boiled too long.
Off topic: Do you still have the clown loaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've never had an air stone get plugged from stuff in the tank. I've buried em in substrates and had em all over, never an issue.

I would be asking you, how big of an air pump do you have?

What is the height from the air pump to the top of the tank?

Double check and make sure there are no kinks in the airline tubing. They make a blue tubing that is virtually kinkless, though it can happen.

Also, you have the air pump only powering one stone? Or do you have it split to power 2 or more?

I've just taken off the one way valves on mine (watching for backflow but good so far) and getting much more air.

Hello Just...

An air stone will become plugged with tank material and will need to be boiled to clean it up for reuse. This one looks as good as any. What's your need for using it? Air stones don't add anything to the workings of the tank and the added surface agitation it makes will drive off CO2 the plants need.

If you just like the looks of the bubbles then any one will work.

B

Hello B. I had these airstones for surface agitation and it also helps in breaking up ur unwanted stuff like nitrate (couldn't remember much of this stuff). And i dont have that many plants. Anubias on a rock is all i have.

As mentioned above, boiling is an effective method for cleaning an air stone. A soak in bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or vinegar followed by a good rinsing are other methods that can be used alone or along with boiling. I do not have air stones anymore but I do have ceramic diffusers for CO2 diffusion and use any of the above methods for periodic cleaning.
Just keep an eye on boiling plastic parts; they can melt and/or warp if boiled too long.
Off topic: Do you still have the clown loaches?

Hello mate.

Below is the diffusor that comes with my Eheim air pump. Im not too sure if they can be boiled. I tried searching for ways to clean on inet but haven't found any.

......and the loaches
I only had two healthy loaches left after the two died and one not so well cz it doesnt eat. I already had 4 deaths on them. Cz i kept replacing dead ones but didnt realize how sensetive they are on water with just a slight change they get sick and would lead to death.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419199327.606116.jpg

I've never had an air stone get plugged from stuff in the tank. I've buried em in substrates and had em all over, never an issue.

I would be asking you, how big of an air pump do you have?

What is the height from the air pump to the top of the tank?

Double check and make sure there are no kinks in the airline tubing. They make a blue tubing that is virtually kinkless, though it can happen.

Also, you have the air pump only powering one stone? Or do you have it split to power 2 or more?

Hello mate.

Air pump is Eheim 400 and it has a two separate valves on the pump.

Height of pump to top of tank is 8 feet.

Do you have a hose going to a stone on both valves?

I'm thinking that you just don't have a strong enough pump, to pump air 8 feet to top of tank. That's why flow may be restricted

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420308945.058214.jpg

Any help on this I just got it today

As it is new I assume the air stone hasn't clogged up.

So I'd say you don't have enough air pressure for air to make it to the end of the air stone and out.

There is just enough air pressure to force air out of the first section of the air stone.

On mine I'd recheck there are no kinks in the hose just in case.

As it is new I assume the air stone hasn't clogged up.

So I'd say you don't have enough air pressure for air to make it to the end of the air stone and out.

There is just enough air pressure to force air out of the first section of the air stone.

On mine I'd recheck there are no kinks in the hose just in case.

There r no kinks and it's a 40 gal pump in a 20 gal tank

There r no kinks and it's a 40 gal pump in a 20 gal tank

The pump isn't strong enough. I had a 60 gallon pump and still couldn't get bubbles down the entire bubble wand

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The pump isn't strong enough. I had a 60 gallon pump and still couldn't get bubbles down the entire bubble wand

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow lol I guess I'm fine for the moment I poked holes in it and it's working better then before

Doesn't matter what the pumps rated for. Depends also on how far the air travels from the pump to the top of your tank, as well as how long your bubble wand is

Wow lol I guess I'm fine for the moment I poked holes in it and it's working better then before

Makes sense - larger holes, easier for the air to get out.

If you have excess air line tubing, you could try shortening it. Like a garden hose, air pressure will decrease the longer the air line is. Just in case you had a few metres sitting coiled up.

Back
Top Bottom