Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

air stone questions

so i have a 10 gal and im getting a build up of protein on the surface, i clean it up but its back after about 6 hours. i read that surface agitation helps it, but i wanna get a female betta and i know they dont like much movement. so would i be able to use an air stone with a betta?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

bald...

You could. A small airstone and a small air pump to run it shouldn't create too much surface agitation. There are small, plastic control valves you can get that attach to the plastic tubing, so you can set the amount of air that runs to the airstone. This will help get a bit more oxygen mixed into the tank water.

B

Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
bald...

You could. A small airstone and a small air pump to run it shouldn't create too much surface agitation. There are small, plastic control valves you can get that attach to the plastic tubing, so you can set the amount of air that runs to the airstone. This will help get a bit more oxygen mixed into the tank water.

B

alright thank you, can you find these at like petco/petsmart or would it be better to go to an aquarium store? also my air pump has two places for a hose that run at the same time. would i safely be able put the valve on that sized and just turn it off?
Old 07-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
alright thank you, can you find these at like petco/petsmart or would it be better to go to an aquarium store? also my air pump has two places for a hose that run at the same time. would i safely be able put the valve on that sized and just turn it off?

For a dual output air pump I would get two things:
1) A plastic airline Tee to convert the two outputs to one
2) A gang valve with at least two outputs
With the gang valve, one line would go to the air stone and one line would serve as a “bleeder valve”. This would allow you to dispense excess air (that is not required by the air stone) and not put too much back pressure on the pump (which can lead to a shorter pump life).
What kind of filter do you currently have on the tank? If it is an HOB (hang on back) or internal filter, sometimes lowering the water level will increase the surface agitation.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
With the gang valve, one line would go to the air stone and one line would serve as a “bleeder valve”. This would allow you to dispense excess air (that is not required by the air stone) and not put too much back pressure on the pump (which can lead to a shorter pump life).
What kind of filter do you currently have on the tank? If it is an HOB (hang on back) or internal filter, sometimes lowering the water level will increase the surface agitation.

i have a HOB but the noise from having low water level and it annoys the crap out of me! ill try the airstone
Old 07-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

An easy way to reduce the splash noise on the HOB is to get a piece of bulk filter pad or an extra pad and cut it and tuck the bottom of the rectangle into the edge acouple -3 inches depending on how long it is, and allow the end to hang over the splashway/water exit to touch the area of water down to the water level which usually evaporates to between water changes each week.

I also have used a XL plastic bottle from SmartWater, or Aquafina, drank it and used the bottle with distilled water, or RO water to refill the level every day or 2. Used this when I had a tank in the bedroom, and by night 2 it would get noisy and by 3 loud, so pretty much each night just added a bit of water and it wouldn't make noise.

Really convenient.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post

so i got an air stone and a splitter cause i completely forgot about the gang valve. ill get the gang valve in a few days but for now im letting the air stone go wild and its working wonderfully, i instantly noticed a difference. ill post a video in a little bit. i have a different air stone that i wanna try
Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah, with two outputs on the pump, don't block one completely, or you will damage the pump. Amazon gang valves, probably $3 or so.

Tags
air, air stone, question, questions, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com