Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Airpump ?, Want to go from ZZZZZZZZ to ...........

My tank is now in my living room, which has its pros and cons. One big con is the airpump--it's driving me nuts! I currently have a Hagen Maxima. Anyone know of a quieter air pump?

Old 07-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The Rena air pumps are quiet. They cost a little more but it is worth it for the noise reduction. You can put them on a piece of dense foam rubber, or even just on a folded up hand towel or something to help dampen the noise. That is part of the reason I quit using bubble wands and the like, partly when I switched some tanks over to planted, and partly because of the noise. I have a little collection of pumps sitting in a tote now, LOL.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I hate to be contrary, but I have had terrible luck with Rena pumps. I've had, over the past 10 years or so, about 4 of them and none of them lasted very long. Perhaps that was just bad luck or maybe they had quality issues in the past...I don't know. They are quiet though. FWIW, I have found the Dolphin air pumps to be VERY quiet and of excellent quality. I removed a pump from one of the medical centers whose tank I maintain (it was about as quiet as an unmuffled weedeater!) and replaced it with a Dolphin Two Star. This pump is driving two 12" air stones in a 55 gal tank and is so quiet you can't even hear it running. It also has a rheostat so the output is adjustable...I have it about halfway because it was literally foaming water out of the tank when set at full power. JMHO.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You are not contrary 'tall - I use these pumps intermittently and have found the Rena's to be reliable and very quiet, but I am open to new info! It is more valuable to get this advice from someone who has put the pumps through their paces, so to speak.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I decided to try out the dolphin, cause it was cheap and available from one of our sponsors. I got the "one star". Thanks TG and logan!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have heard a few things for deadening noise, though I have never tried them. One thing I read suggested suspending the pump in mid air on strings. This would keep it from resonating against whatever it is sitting on and using it like a sound box. The second idea suggested placing a plastic bottle in the middle of your air line. Something about the air having a place to expand to would reduce vibrations in your line.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
You are not contrary 'tall - I use these pumps intermittently and have found the Rena's to be reliable and very quiet, but I am open to new info! It is more valuable to get this advice from someone who has put the pumps through their paces, so to speak.
In all fairness to Rena, when I was using their pumps, they were pushing against a heavy load and running 24/7.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Well, full load and 24/7 sounds like the best test you can do!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I got the dolphin pump. Sorry to say, I'm not too impressed--it's only slightly quieter than the hagen--and it has less air pressure. After I get my tank restarted, I'm going to try a few things out that RogerMcAllen suggested.

Thanks all!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com