Algae bloom problem UV Sterilizer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium and I don't know what wattage of uv sterilizer to buy. I've been fighting an algae bloom for 5 months now it was so bad about 4 months ago you couldn't even see inside the tank. I completely blocked off the light in the tank with solar curtains and left the tank light off for weeks which I hate to do because I know it stresses out fish but all that's in there right now is a common pleco and I don't think it bothers it to much. I have a freshwater aquarium and no sump tank to speak of so what kind of sterilizer can I buy that's inside the aquarium and what's the specific name for those types. If someone could send me a link to a good sterilizer that's not that big that would be very helpful.

P.S. also I know virtually nothing about UV sterilizers so at the very least some info would be very much appreciated thank you

I've had the same problem with my 55 gallon for at least 3 months. It started off crystal clear, than it went so green I could not see halfway into the tank! I have done water changes, new curtains and even blocked light to the aquarium for 3 days straight, but no luck. So I took the jump and bought a 24 watt uv light that is a in tank light, flows over the light twice and has a built in pump. Three things you definitely want to look for.

Have you tested your water? What are your results?
What kind of filtration are you using?

Back
Top Bottom