Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Algae eater running and biting goldfish tail

Hi all, I have recently bought 3 small gold fish and 1 algae eater. After a week the algae eater has started chasing the goldfish and looks as if it is biting the goldfish's tail, goldfish keeps running from it. Please can some one help and share the knowledge as to what is happening and will all the fish be ok.
Regards

Sachin

Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Is the algae eater a chinease algae eater? Thin, long, golden? If so it is a predator trying to suck off the goldfish's slime coat

Old 01-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin1kapoor
Hi all, I have recently bought 3 small gold fish and 1 algae eater. After a week the algae eater has started chasing the goldfish and looks as if it is biting the goldfish's tail, goldfish keeps running from it. Please can some one help and share the knowledge as to what is happening and will all the fish be ok.
Regards

Sachin
Hi and welcome.
As Gboy asked is it a CAE (google a picture). If so you need to rehome it. They like to eat the slime coat on fish (goldfish are a favorite). What size tank are they all in? What is your filtration? Do you know what cycling a tank means?
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello gboy and Mumma of two ,
Thanks for your reply, I checked Chinese algae eater on google and yes that's the same one u have. Yesterday I went back to pet world and they said it doesn't happen normally but if the algae eater is aggressive then this might be happening, also they said that algae eater might be hungry as the tank might be clean so they gave me some pallet food which sinks, however AE didn't seem to happy with it just chewed a bit and again started chasing goldfish.

The tank size is 30 lts, and it has a sponge filter at the bottom and and a air tube from where the air comes and circulates the water. It is a ready made 30 ltr bi-orbs.
Regards

Sachin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1934062255.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	69953  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, I checked Chinese algae eater on google and yes that's the same one u have. Yesterday I went back to pet world and they said it doesn't happen normally but if the algae eater is aggressive then this might be happening, also they said that algae eater might be hungry as the tank might be clean so they gave me some pallet food which sinks, however AE didn't seem to happy with it just chewed a bit and again started chasing goldfish.

The tank size is 30 lts, and it has a sponge filter at the bottom and and a air tube from where the air comes and circulates the water. It is a ready made 30 ltr bi-orbs.
Regards

Sachin
Welcome to AA! I'm sure you'll find all the advice you need here

I'm afraid that might be too small for your goldfish
They will eventually out grow it
& they need tons of filtration
Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Regards

Sachin
Hi sachin,
I'm afraid you've got more problems than just the CAE unfortunately.
Those goldfish simply do not belong in that bowl I'm sorry. One goldfish needs 20g (80L) and each one after that needs 10g so for three to live by themselves you need a 150L tank minimum. Goldfish are messy creatures and require high filtration 10x the tanks volume an hour.
I really strongly advise you return ALL of those fish and buy something more appropriate for your tank like a Betta.
Those goldfish will not live a full life in that bowl and keeping their water clean will be next to impossible.
Here is a link that explains tank and fish care and the nitrogen cycle. Cycling a tank is VERY IMPORTANT.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Please if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask! We are hear help you and your fish.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks M.O.T and O.T.F for your advice
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

Hi sachin,
I'm afraid you've got more problems than just the CAE unfortunately.
Those goldfish simply do not belong in that bowl I'm sorry. One goldfish needs 20g (80L) and each one after that needs 10g so for three to live by themselves you need a 150L tank minimum. Goldfish are messy creatures and require high filtration 10x the tanks volume an hour.
I really strongly advise you return ALL of those fish and buy something more appropriate for your tank like a Betta.
Those goldfish will not live a full life in that bowl and keeping their water clean will be next to impossible.
Here is a link that explains tank and fish care and the nitrogen cycle. Cycling a tank is VERY IMPORTANT.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

Please if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask! We are hear help you and your fish.
+1 I agree very much
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!

Please read this. It's very eye-opening.

Also read these this also.

Tags
algae, algae eater, biting, eat, eater, goldfish, tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com