Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hope so! I seeded it with hair algae. So we will see how it does

Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Could fit a ship in there

Old 02-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hopefully that ship will be covered in algae!!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How long does the screen take to get fully covered? In guessing my screen is way to big for the size tank it is in.. It's on a 55g tank with just 3 fish and 5 rbtas.. But I built it for the big display. Just waiting to move to the new house
Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It varies from scrubber to scrubber. That one is very nice, I'm jealous. Put that together like that, some extra PVC, and a pump of it's own and I'd run that super sweet. How much all did you use to put it together?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All together in cost. Minus pump was around 60$ I believe. But I have a few extra feet in PVC. . One thing I think is I should have used a color tote instead of clear. So all the light is contained. But totes are only a few bucks
Old 03-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm starting to get confused.. I was told and read before. The more equipment you run. The better. Gfo .ATS. Skimmer bio pellets.. I asked mr saltwater tank guy what he thought. And he said " classic confused tank". It's like driving a car with flat tires.. What does he mean??... I've also read . A guy says algae scrubber only. No skimmer. No nothing... Scrubber is by far the best for your tank.. Now I know to each there own.. But what should I do?? I read absolutely no gfo in sps tank.. Then I see can't run it without it.... Why must this hobby be so confusing?? Haha
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

There are many different ways to remove unwanted elements from your tank. The grey area you have entered is bleed over from all the different methods. One may have success with this and another with that. When you out it all together it can work, but I'd you over filter you can have issues too. Why run 2 different reactors that are doing the same thing? Counter productive, expensive, and it can take out beneficials or screw parameters up.
This is why I like the KIS effect. Keep it simple. Live rock, skimmer, algae in both display and refugium. When parameters weren't where I wanted, dual reactor with phosphate media and purigen.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Because everyone has an opinion and at least 50% of them are wrong. Welcome to the Internet age.

All you can do is follow people with long term expertise and try to stay on track with all the background noise. Mr_X on this forum makes it as simple as it can possibly get and still work. I go for a more complex solution, but we both grow corals like crazy.

Many solutions work well together, but in order of importance, assuming water exchanges are first filtration priority I believe it's;

Sufficient live rock
Protein skimming (tanks over 20 gallons)

Then comes DOC filtration that's missed by the first two, usually only needed if you want SPS quality reef water and the primary filtration is missing that last little bit, or nitrates are building up;

Algae scrubbing
GFO or other P02 binding agents
Carbon for coral toxins if the reef is packed.
Then maybe other stuff like Purigen to soak up selenium and any DOCs the previous equipment missed.

You can use all if it, or a portion of it. Belt and suspenders approach. There is some overlapping, but that's a good thing.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was planning just algae scrubber. Gfo and large skimmer. I have a 150 sps dominant.. Small so far. But I'm just starting. I want to move sump to basement and add 40g fuge with dsb. And 40g frag tank . Also trying to decide if I want add in my 65g rbta tank. Or keep it separate .. I just bought the 5 gallon pale of gfo and reactors.. Phosphates are my only fight. But I did just upgrade my ro to two di units.. Making it 6 stage

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com