Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by anteatergoanna View Post
I wouldn't mind having one, a bought one is pretty expensive $100us, so it would be about $120 here. Do you have a bought one or did you make it yourself?
I built mine, the one I run on a 144g reef is this one

4x6 screen under LEDs, mounted on a sump. It an older version. typical 12-14 day growth keep N and P in check

Also have a larger one that I run on a 210 in a restaurant

This is about 2 weeks into a new screen (seeded from an old one)

I have more recent pics, this screen/tank does very well

Originally Posted by dishsnthings View Post
That is interesting. IIRC, that is what I followed to build mine (only built one to try it). Although I remember using a hole saw to rough up the screen. Now when you say hard to make it work right, isn't 'working right' growing algae? A continual cycle of 'grow and clean" so to speak. I had placed mine in my AC tank, with the least plants. It grew algae for sure, completely filling the scrubber before cleanings. But what I found happening was the algae was spreading outside of the scrubber to plants, decor and such. (I think due to the spreading that was happening as I cleaned it up maybe?).
Once I took it all out, no more algae anywhere, even thought I read nitrates very low. Perhaps the few plants I have are just enough to keep the nitrates in check. One thing I remember is there is not alot of info on this type of thing. I do remember seeing alot of pictures in sumps, which is probably what you are indicating works so good. I guess in the end, no more for my freshwater tanks, I don't have any algae in any of them.
Like I said, I'm not really that familiar with FW scrubbers myself, but I know a guy in KC with 3 of them and he swears by them, though they do grow differently. Mainly, the algae holds on more weakly and that is for waterfall, so UAS would be even weaker especially if using the plastic canvas. It has to be really, really rough, and I don't mean just scratched up good & prickly, I mean rough at the surface level. What I do with my screens is rough them up first by clamping down and using a wire brush crimp drill bit attachment and make passes back and forth, up & down, diagonally, etc at low speed to get the screen inside the holes rough - mainly taking the top surface layer off. Then I make small, circular, overlapping passes with a saw blade (not a hole saw) using gentle pressure (you don't need to rip/tear the screen) and take my time to get a good overall roughness to the screen. This works fantastically for waterfall scrubbers, but that quartz rock/sand or even aragonite seems to be the better material for UAS devices, because 1) algae takes longer to establish (even though it was initially promoted to cure quicker) and algae needs a better surface to anchor to. This may be why tufts of algae were going all over your tank.

My tanks: 120 Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber, 60 Reef Pond w/floating Algae Scrubber, 40 Breeder Reef w/L2 UAS Tester Algae Scrubber
I maintain: 144 SW Reef w/L2 Algae Scrubber | 200 SW Reef w/L4 Algae Scrubber
Special knowledge: Algae Scrubbers, Acrylic Fabrication
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
I run one on my reef, the waterfall type, just scrape one side weekly, alternating them, my tank began doing much better after it seeded and started growing heavy algae on it. Before it I had some algae in my DT, now none other than the rock I have put in with some for grazers. I don't need to glass anywhere near as much as I used to either. I've never noted a smell from it, but the skimmer always stinks some so maybe it masks it.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Redwolf91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com