Algae Scrubbers - Show me yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ingy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning on putting a waterfall style algae turf scrubber (ATS) in my sump. I would appreciate any pics and ideas to help with my designing it.

Cheers

Pretty simple. I started one, but it made a huge mess and I never went back to address it when other things popped up.
A pump with some PVC in the shape of an "L" going up and over with a slit down the middle for some or the plastic grating...name is escaping me but people use it for needlepoint like stuff. As always, a ball valve on it to adjust the flow. Of course, don't cap the end of the PVC.
Now, this design doesn't like to stand up on it's own. I suggest another piece of PVC to attach to the capped end and hold it all up. I've seen designs where they have made a giant "U" to hold everything up, but I personally wouldn't want there to be any buildup in the arm end, as there wouldn't be very much flow going through that at all. Best to avoid it IMO.

Mine has run for decades with no problems. Design it right from the start and they are a very desirable way to turn algae from a enemy to an ally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom