Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

alk issue with reactor

So my tank has been having a issue keep the alk high its at 2.5 mlq and cal around 400 and mag 1250. Have a mixed of spa and los. I'm running a reactor and its saying the ph inside if 6.4 - 6.5 with kind a fast just above being able to count. The eff coming out of the reactor is 4mlq which seems low. Should I up the co2 or lower the ph on the controller a little to raise the eff up? The media in the reactor is course arm doesn't seem to be turning into mud yet.

Thanks

Old 09-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea213
So my tank has been having a issue keep the alk high its at 2.5 mlq and cal around 400 and mag 1250. Have a mixed of spa and los. I'm running a reactor and its saying the ph inside if 6.4 - 6.5 with kind a fast just above being able to count. The eff coming out of the reactor is 4mlq which seems low. Should I up the co2 or lower the ph on the controller a little to raise the eff up? The media in the reactor is course arm doesn't seem to be turning into mud yet.

Thanks
Hows the drip coming from reactor?

Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

It's just fast enough it doesn't clog up but not full stream u can see the drops but hard to count.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's just fast enough it doesn't clog up but not full stream u can see the drops but hard to count.
Slow drip down this will allow co2 to breakdown the media better
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

Is a slow rate enough to hold the tanks demands? I go it to a drip a sec should I raise the ph in the reactor ? Or is 6.5 ok for the arm media ?
Old 09-21-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Is a slow rate enough to hold the tanks demands? I go it to a drip a sec should I raise the ph in the reactor ? Or is 6.5 ok for the arm media ?
Yes leave at 6.5 with a slower drip the alk can get higher coming out of the reactor i also have mine about 60drips/minute so check alk daily at same time each day if alk is maintaining leave it if alk goes down add co2 not much just very lil until alk maintains
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Ok thanks for the help. If alk starts to go up do I raise the ph then or the flow ?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok thanks for the help. If alk starts to go up do I raise the ph then or the flow ?
Ph has to stay at 6.5 to break down the media so if alk starts to rise then lower the co2 if alk lowers raise co2 but keep in mind very small adjustments or youll just be goin back and forth and checking same time each day is important to give correct readings
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #9

Ok gottcha I just check I'm a 3 meq now 8.4 dkh I want to be up in the 9 to 10 dkh in the tank correct? I did add some alk last night to the tank to bump me up .5 meq so should I do it again or see if the reactor will hold it at 3 meq
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok gottcha I just check I'm a 3 meq now 8.4 dkh I want to be up in the 9 to 10 dkh in the tank correct? I did add some alk last night to the tank to bump me up .5 meq so should I do it again or see if the reactor will hold it at 3 meq
Ok heres what to do get reactor stabalized in the way i meantion before once stabalized then add alk to desired level using the alk supplement also once reactor is stabalized use calcium supp to get calcium to desired level then let reactor hold those parameters for you took me about 2 weeks to get dialed in but now i dont even touch it i personally keep my calcium at 420 and alk at 12 dkh my coral seem to like the higher alk and show better color and polyp extension at this level so you may need to experiment with your coral to see what is best for you

Tags
reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com