Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

All actintic bulbs?

Wondering if I got a ho tc fixture if I could run it with all actintic bulbs instead. Any thoughts? I would like to have that deep blue look to the tank, without going to full leds. Its a 3 gallon pico, Im sure thats usefull info

Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Going all actinics isn't the best way to go.. well actually it depends.. r u adding coral? Or fish.? Plus all actinics lighting would be too blue and you wouldn't see the great colors that a saltwater tank has the potential of having for instance the unique color of sw fish and coraline algae and such...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

No fish just coral. Its a 3 gallon. Not sure what the best way is to get a 20k look without the metal halide heat.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea ur corals arnt going to do good with actinics ... they use more of the 10000 k lighting plus u won't be able to see the corals true color.. what lighting are u using?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaguirre View Post
Yea ur corals arnt going to do good with actinics ... they use more of the 10000 k lighting plus u won't be able to see the corals true color.. what lighting are u using?
Right now I'm using a 26watt Finnex Clamp on.

Amazon.com: CL26SL: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 3U Blue White Bulb & Moonlight LED - SILVER GREY: Kitchen & Dining

I was looking around and read that these lights were a good start. It looks to be doing well. Now I'm just looking to get the corals to pop.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It`s not natural. You need to try to recreate nature as much as possible. It would be OK to cause your actinics to come on first and go off last to simulate dusk/dawn but you need the white lighting during the day to simulate day. You also need no lighting for nite time.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would a single Ecoxotic Panarama module from Foster and Smith be a good replacement of the Finnex I currently have?

Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: ecoxotic Panorama LED Module

I'm also just looking for something to replace the Finnex. A Par38 is probably way too much for the 3 gallon and would like to keep the tank contained in the space it's in now
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The led's r good for that tank u should get the led's they're good but try to keep it natural.. plus its a good idea to get some moon lights ud probly like how they look in ur tank at night and plus fish should have some kind of small lighting such as moon lights at night because in the ocean they get moon light plus they can see what they're doing ...
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaguirre View Post
The led's r good for that tank u should get the led's they're good but try to keep it natural.. plus its a good idea to get some moon lights ud probly like how they look in ur tank at night and plus fish should have some kind of small lighting such as moon lights at night because in the ocean they get moon light plus they can see what they're doing ...
I was thinking of getting one of the 8000k/453nm panorama modules and a 453nm stunner strip for the moonlight. Would that be enough for the tank?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Defenately, for a 3 gallon its plenty.. r u planning on getting it? And what kind of corals r u planning on adding in ur tank?

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com