ALL-Glass Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiosity25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I have a question about my light/hood assembly.
I just bought a beautiful 55 gallon All-Glass tank and hood. I really like the looks of my hood. It matches my home décor perfectly.
Here is my dilemma: I am told that the All-Glass full length hood can only hold a 40w bulb max!!! From what I read, 40w isn't going to let me grow the plants that I want in my aquarium.
Since I really like the hood assembly that I have, is there anyway I can modify this hood to accept a higher wattage bulb. Perhaps purchasing a different electronic ballast will allow me to put a higher wattage bulb in the assembly? Is this possible or will I have to purchase an entirely different hood?
Thanks!

This is possible but the problem is the higher output bulbs put out more head and pose a threat to the plastic hood.

All Glass also sells double and tripple light fixtures. The light output will still only be 40W per bulb.

if youre in to diy you could strip out the hood and install VHO with a remote ballast, and if youre still worried about bulb heat an exhaust fan or two. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom