Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
ALL-Glass Hood

Hi everyone,
I have a question about my light/hood assembly.
I just bought a beautiful 55 gallon All-Glass tank and hood. I really like the looks of my hood. It matches my home décor perfectly.
Here is my dilemma: I am told that the All-Glass full length hood can only hold a 40w bulb max!!! From what I read, 40w isn't going to let me grow the plants that I want in my aquarium.
Since I really like the hood assembly that I have, is there anyway I can modify this hood to accept a higher wattage bulb. Perhaps purchasing a different electronic ballast will allow me to put a higher wattage bulb in the assembly? Is this possible or will I have to purchase an entirely different hood?

curiosity25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is possible but the problem is the higher output bulbs put out more head and pose a threat to the plastic hood.

All Glass also sells double and tripple light fixtures. The light output will still only be 40W per bulb.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
if youre in to diy you could strip out the hood and install VHO with a remote ballast, and if youre still worried about bulb heat an exhaust fan or two.
55g: 1 black angel, 1 koi angel, 1 marble angel, 3 blue rams, 2 bolivian rams, 5 diamond tetras, 5 gold tetras, 3 leopard corys, 1 bristlenose pleco
55g: gouramis: 2 pearl, 1 blue, 2 dwarf fire, 2 dwarf honey , 1 dwarf powder blue; 5 tiger barbs, 5 golden barbs, 3 zebra loaches, 1 SAE
30g: 1 miss. map turtle, 5 blue spotted sunfish
10g: 7 cardinal tetras, 7 black neon tetras, 5 pygmy cories
10g: 3 leopard geckos
a yellow lab, a bichon frise, and a grey tabby cat
Centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
They also sell PC fixtures to fit into your existing hood.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

glass, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com