Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
All this talk about the 'sump'

As a freshwater person myself, I really have no idea what a sump is used for or how you would set one up. I know it's a smaller tank that typically sits underneath your main display. Other then that I have no idea what it is used for. Are they used in freshwater applications ever, or is it a saltwater thing?

Old 06-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

It can be used for fresh water as easily as salt. I think the general idea is to hide hardware (put the filter, heater, CO2 into the sump, put the sump inside/under your stand and presto!) and increase the capacity of the tank. You may have a 50gallon tank, but with a 20 gallon sump the total volume in circulation is 70, allowing you to overstock without comprimising the fish as much or just keeping water quality higher for longer.

You can also use sumps as growout tanks for plants.

Old 06-15-2005, 03:00 AM   #3

how do you pump the water into the sump and back into the aquarium? Say.. for instance i have a 55 gallon with an aquaclear 70 power filter, if i ran it on my extra 10 gallon, how would i get the filtered water from the 55 gallon, into the 10 and back to the 55 gallon. ? i think i would like to set one up.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think gravity pulls the water into the sump and then a pump pulls it back up but don't quote me on that.

SW sump plans
Old 06-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AquaJoe
Good post, I was wondering the same thing myself

Joe
Old 06-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah you have to start a siphon and then it goes into the sump, gets filtered, and gets pumped back to the fish tank
Old 06-15-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

you use an overflow box that works on a siphon. Even better is to get the corner built in overflow boxes, that don't require the use of a j shaped siphon tube. In the sump is a pump, that sends the water back. Since it is not a closed system (water out and water in are independent of each other), the pump has to be matched to the overflow flow rating. The pump must be set up so that if the overflow/siphon stops, the volume pumped out of the sump will not flood the display tank. Sounds difficult, but it is easy in practice. They sump can hold a large volume of water to increase system volume, and it can hold a very large and efficient wet/dry trickle filter too. Not to mention heaters and other tank things that clutter up the display tank. You could even put animals or plants in the sump, and with the lighting on the sump system and display system out of phase have a remarkably stable system. If you plumb the setup so the sump is in a utility room, you can have holding tanks for water preperation, and do allyour maintenace (except for tank cleaning)away from the display tank.

While I don't have one now, I am a big fan of them.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:19 AM   #8

what kind of pump would you use?

sorry to hijack the post.. lol, but i was curious as well and didn't want to start a new thread on the same thing.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

A submersible pump -- MagDrives are generally considered a benchmark. Its really a project of time: experimentation and reading. Rule of thumb says a sump should be at least 1/3rd of main tank's volume (you'll need saftey room for back flow should you lose power to the sump, space for filtration, and usable volume), and really 10g is too little for a 70g main. There's a lot of info in the archives of this site and many cool designs posted. Compared to BillyZ and sumphead and many, I'm only a newbie with a modest sump, but here's my howto if you want it: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...owto_fuge.html

Archives and search really are the best tools available for the learning/planning step, especially SW and DIY archives. I'm not suggesting asking questions is bad, but I found reading the archives answered questions I hadn't yet thought of

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
ive heard you dont need to match the pump at all you just need an overflow box and when the water level goes under a certain point it stops siphoning until the water is pumped back into the tank. ill try and find the site

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com