Almost burned down the house!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was adjusting the temp of the rodi water in my room, and the water was too warm. I decide to take out the heaters, and put them on a pair of my shorts on the ground so my carpet didnt get all wet. Well, i forgot to un plug one of the heaters! Yikes!

My mom and sister started yelling that my shorts were on fire, and we took the smoldering shorts outside. Haha!!

Real question is, is the heater broken? It has a gunk on it from the burnt shorts. How do i clean this off? I might just throw it away, as i dont want to risk contaminating future top-off water.

Remember to unplug your heaters when they arent in water everyone!!! I almost just lost all my fish tanks!!:D heres a pic..

If the glass is cracked then it's no good. You can use a razor blade or something to clean it off. I test mine by submersing them in water and looking to see if they fill with water which is an obvious sign that it's cracked, another thing is I can feel a slight charge in the water when I stick my hand in if it is cracked/no good.

jetajockey said:
If the glass is cracked then it's no good. You can use a razor blade or something to clean it off. I test mine by submersing them in water and looking to see if they fill with water which is an obvious sign that it's cracked, another thing is I can feel a slight charge in the water when I stick my hand in if it is cracked/no good.

Great! I dont think it is cracked, but ill clean it off and test..

If this one is made to be submersible, soak it for a couple hours and check for water in the glass (in case it's a hairline crack). If it's still dry, put it in a bucket of water, plug it in and test again for a couple hours so you dont take a chance on electrocuting the fish. Or, you could skip straight to the bucket while plugged in.

I say to try it plugged in because the heat expansion may open a leak that you wont find in cold water. Plug it into a GFCI protected outlet if at all possible. Above all, DO NOT stick your hand in the water with the heater while plugged in. As you know, water and electricity can do bad things.

On a side note, I did the same thing. I thought I had unplugged it but it turned out that I had unplugged a light that was already off. I sat it on the carpet and melted a spot about 1-1/2 inches across.

Good luck!

Thanks!! Well this heater is ONLY for heating top off/PWC water. So no risk of the fish being harmed thankfully:)

Thanks!!

Glad your ok! Wow must have been scary!! I always fear stuff like this, with the tanks growing in my house so have my fire extinguishers.

Convict2161 said:
Glad your ok! Wow must have been scary!! I always fear stuff like this, with the tanks growing in my house so have my fire extinguishers.

Yea man, i would have had to call you!! Lol.

Convict2161 said:
I would have been there brother. (y)

That would have been a pretty long ride!

I am making more rodi for my water change today..but i dont want to use the heater...i just dont lol

Gboy66 said:
That would have been a pretty long ride!

I am making more rodi for my water change today..but i dont want to use the heater...i just dont lol

Haha yeah I'd maybe get a new one.

I got called out to a pair of shorts on fire one time. The son always threw his laundry over the second floor banister... Well one day his Hanes caught on the foyer light and about an hour later their smokes alarms went off.

Long story short, no one hurt, boy ot grounded and i got to say:

" dispatch, the fire is out on the underwear!"

Funny times ridin the seat

Georgia said:
I got called out to a pair of shorts on fire one time. The son always threw his laundry over the second floor banister... Well one day his Hanes caught on the foyer light and about an hour later their smokes alarms went off.

Long story short, no one hurt, boy ot grounded and i got to say:

" dispatch, the fire is out on the underwear!"

Funny times ridin the seat

Lol!!!

mfdrookie516 said:
Just be glad you weren't wearing the shorts at the time.

Haha! It actually burned a hole in my boxers too..mom hung them on the wall with the note "grant farted" lol

Man this is funny. I wonder how fast I could have gotten there lol. Lights and sirens.... Priceless!!

For real though, glad your ok. Could have been worse!

Just got back from this cut job. Young kids stole a car and went for a joy ride.

View attachment 76273

Sorry now BOT...

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Man this is funny. I wonder how fast I could have gotten there lol. Lights and sirens.... Priceless!!

For real though, glad your ok. Could have been worse!

Just got back from this cut job. Young kids stole a car and went for a joy ride.

Sorry now BOT...

Thanks man.

Wow..thats not too joyful. Were they alright?

00youknowit00 said:
At least your mom was cool with it.. I think if I did that she wouldn't let me keep my tanks.. :/

Really? Ya..she was semi-cool...

Back
Top Bottom