Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Almost burned down the house!

Was adjusting the temp of the rodi water in my room, and the water was too warm. I decide to take out the heaters, and put them on a pair of my shorts on the ground so my carpet didnt get all wet. Well, i forgot to un plug one of the heaters! Yikes!

My mom and sister started yelling that my shorts were on fire, and we took the smoldering shorts outside. Haha!!

Real question is, is the heater broken? It has a gunk on it from the burnt shorts. How do i clean this off? I might just throw it away, as i dont want to risk contaminating future top-off water.

Remember to unplug your heaters when they arent in water everyone!!! I almost just lost all my fish tanks!! heres a pic..

Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
come get me tang police!

If the glass is cracked then it's no good. You can use a razor blade or something to clean it off. I test mine by submersing them in water and looking to see if they fill with water which is an obvious sign that it's cracked, another thing is I can feel a slight charge in the water when I stick my hand in if it is cracked/no good.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
If the glass is cracked then it's no good. You can use a razor blade or something to clean it off. I test mine by submersing them in water and looking to see if they fill with water which is an obvious sign that it's cracked, another thing is I can feel a slight charge in the water when I stick my hand in if it is cracked/no good.
Great! I dont think it is cracked, but ill clean it off and test..
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

If this one is made to be submersible, soak it for a couple hours and check for water in the glass (in case it's a hairline crack). If it's still dry, put it in a bucket of water, plug it in and test again for a couple hours so you dont take a chance on electrocuting the fish. Or, you could skip straight to the bucket while plugged in.

I say to try it plugged in because the heat expansion may open a leak that you wont find in cold water. Plug it into a GFCI protected outlet if at all possible. Above all, DO NOT stick your hand in the water with the heater while plugged in. As you know, water and electricity can do bad things.

On a side note, I did the same thing. I thought I had unplugged it but it turned out that I had unplugged a light that was already off. I sat it on the carpet and melted a spot about 1-1/2 inches across.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks!! Well this heater is ONLY for heating top off/PWC water. So no risk of the fish being harmed thankfully

Thanks!!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad your ok! Wow must have been scary!! I always fear stuff like this, with the tanks growing in my house so have my fire extinguishers.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Glad your ok! Wow must have been scary!! I always fear stuff like this, with the tanks growing in my house so have my fire extinguishers.
Yea man, i would have had to call you!! Lol.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Yea man, i would have had to call you!! Lol.
I would have been there brother.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161

I would have been there brother.
That would have been a pretty long ride!

I am making more rodi for my water change today..but i dont want to use the heater...i just dont lol
Old 02-12-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

That would have been a pretty long ride!

I am making more rodi for my water change today..but i dont want to use the heater...i just dont lol
Haha yeah I'd maybe get a new one.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com