Am I buying the right light fixture???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125 gallon tank that has about 75 lbs of live rock and has been set up for about 2-3 months. The lighting I have is not enough for the lr. I am going to get a new fixture this week and think I have decided on one. It is the Coralife aqualight pro fixture. It is the 72" version with I think 834 watts. Will that be enough to grow macro algea, soft coral and anenomes? I was also looking at the Current USA light but decided to probably go with the coralife. Let me know what you guys think...

now does it have mh- pc- or t5, depends what you want to do, if you dont want to do hard corals you should be fine

The Aqualight Pro fixtures have PC actinic supplementing the halides along with a few lunars. I would go with the Current USA fixtures, they may have been discontinued, but they have far less complaints against them than the Aqualife Pro fixtures do such as cheap fans so they run too hot. I would just go with a Current USA Sun Pod. They have halides and lunars, no actinic supplementation, but with 14k bulbs, you will get all the blue you need. There are other models like the Outer Orbits which have MH, T5 HO, and lunars. JMO though. HTH.

Retrofits are another option that would save you a ton of money, just thought I would add that.

The Current Outer Orbit is the other light I am looking at. The ballast in that light are built in. I'm wondering how easily they are replaced and how easy they are to find???

The models with 150w halides have internal ballasts, 250w models have external ballasts. Look around ad see if any stores near you still have them in stock. You can always check Ebay.

Back
Top Bottom