Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Originally Posted by TheChad View Post
It's more pricy to buy a skimmer that sucks (not saying the other suggestion sucks, I've never owned or seen one of those), then have to spend even more money to buy a better one later, or even worse buy another once based on price alone and waste even more money, when you could save a bit longer and buy a good one to start with.

Like I said, I have no experience with the other skimmer suggested, I'm just saying from experience.. 9 times out of 10, when you buy one product over another based on price alone trying to save a buck, it's ends up costing you 3x more.

I generally agree with your sentiment here - you usually get what you pay for. However, the Bubble Magus is a good balance of quality and cost. The acrylic bodies are made in China, but are actually pretty decent and solid. They use a German constructed pump along with it so the pump quality is pretty high. It was recommended to me when I started my reef tank, and I was skeptical too based on the price, but trusted the guy who recommended it to me so I went with it. I am positive you could get a BETTER skimmer, but like I said it is a good balance between price and quality, and as a guy who owns a lot of upper end fish gear, I am still very happy with this purchase overall. My biggest complaint is the adjustment for water height is kind of a pain to adjust (it is ultra sensitive), but other than that, once it is adjusted, it holds very well (I have adjusted it maybe twice since I initially dialed it in the week I added it to the tank).

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

skimmer, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com