Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ammonia Kit

Hello! Nataliefish here, i've been told that ill be needing an ammonia kit and some water conditioner. my first question is what does an ammonia kit consist of? and also if i leave the water out in a container without its top of course for 24-48 hours do i need to use water conditioner? Thank you very much. I am still working at putting my fish tank back together after the massive cleaning. im trying to get the guts to put in the water heater ( i have a fear that ill electrocute the fish ). I want to make sure i know all the tricks, and anything else i may not know!

thank you very much. hopefully after all this advice i've been getting, i can help new people

thanks again!

Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

first off, it would be in your best interest to get master test kit. one that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. second, leaving the water out is debatable... depends on who you ask. chlorine will evaporate, but if there is any chloramine in the water, its a little harder to get rid of without conditioner. Third, what do you mean by "guts" of your heater?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

okay so, a master test kit would have a ammonia test kit in it along wioth other ones. just go pick up a master test kit at petsmart or petco.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #4

re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
first off, it would be in your best interest to get master test kit. one that will test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. second, leaving the water out is debatable... depends on who you ask. chlorine will evaporate, but if there is any chloramine in the water, its a little harder to get rid of without conditioner. Third, what do you mean by "guts" of your heater?
Thank you. I've heard of the master test kit through the chat here. what i meant by "guts" is well, bringing myself to do it, with the fear of electrocuting my fish. getting the guts to put in the water heater.. i have it in right now. and im waiting before i plug it in.

Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
okay so, a master test kit would have a ammonia test kit in it along wioth other ones. just go pick up a master test kit at petsmart or petco.
petsmart or pecto. ill remember t hat. thanks and thanks again!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

any time
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thanks for clearing that up lol... i understood it that you had removed the "guts" from the heater and were going to put them back in... i understand now lol

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure it's the liquid test kit and not the dip strips, the strips are not very accurate.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

do they have petsmart or petco in canada?
you can also use BigAlsonline.com they are decently priced.
here is what you should get if you don't already have any test kits.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieFish View Post
petsmart or pecto. ill remember t hat. thanks and thanks again!
sometimes through the on-line sites you can get them a few bucks cheaper, but that might not apply for the shipping to Canada. Forgot Big Al's has a Great White North Site http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...rmastertestkit The link is a that kit that most of us use here.

Not trying to plug Big Al's but they and other mail order sites mentioned here usually have things a few bucks cheaper than a retail store.

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com