Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Fish R friends, not food!

Is it possible that manufacturers use better glass on the front than they do on the sides????? Just asking.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some tanks are built with Starphire glass on the front, some with it on the front and sides. I think you'd know about it though because the Starphire glass is a lot more expensive than regular glass.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Some tanks are built with Starphire glass on the front, some with it on the front and sides. I think you'd know about it though because the Starphire glass is a lot more expensive than regular glass.
You should be able to get just about as good a side view looking from one end of the front I guess.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
You're looking through a lot more water when you look through the side. Thats the only explanation I've ever come up with
That doesn't seem to be the concensus I'm getting at AquaticCommunity -- it seems the water should be EXACTLY the same, no matter which viewing angle...I'll address that in detail when I can...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrox View Post
That's because it is the reason.
The water shouldn't appear in the same kind of clarity from the side and front?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
I always saw that on my tanks in the past, and some of the saltwater tanks I work on are kind of brownish from side to side. This one:

Tank Journal - 135 FOWLR

Was really bad in that respect, after I did a lot of clean-up and added Purigen (I know, I talk about it a lot) it went crystal clear. This one:

Tank Journal - 225 SW FOWLR, Possible future reef

Looks great from the front, but very brown with only 10,000Ks on, better with Actinics on also.

My 55 planted community has been and side to side ever since using Purigen. It really polishes the water up well. I had a 55 cichlid tank when I was a teenager and it was always cloudy from side to side (but it was running a UGF and in front of a window). So I don't know if it has anything to do with live plants or Purigen or filtration method (Marinelane C-360) or frequent PWCs (50% weekly) or something else, but my tank is almost perfectly clear all the time, no matter which direction you look through it.
So, Floyd, then what should it be -- just as clear from the sides as it is from the front?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
If it looks cloudy from the side, it isn't as clear as you thought.
Now this is concerning me; indeed, perhaps the water isn't as clear as I think because from the side, it looks cloudier and "whispier"...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Here's my 55 from the front

Side with then without flash

Funny that you can see the PWC line. Algae doesn't grow back as fast from the exposure to air! Hard to tell from the pic, 'cause the 'no flash' pics always are washed out - but it's clear as a window.
Yeah, the second side view picture looks much clearer -- mine isn't that clear from the side...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
As I said over at AC, it should really be clear! Have you tried adding some filter floss to your filter? Supposedly this will 'polish' the water by removing most suspended particles.
Hello Mark,

No I haven't added filter floss to the Aqueons; would Purigen be considered a floss?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hewitt View Post
As I said over at AC, it should really be clear! Have you tried adding some filter floss to your filter? Supposedly this will 'polish' the water by removing most suspended particles.
Also, Mark -- I realize that you said over at AC that it should be clear from the side, but early in this thread here, THIS was stated:

You're looking through a lot more water when you look through the side. Thats the only explanation I've ever come up with

...and this was agreed upon by mattrox...

So, what do I believe? Should the water be clear DEFINITELY when looking from the side, or is it normal that I am seeing this because you're looking through a lot more depth?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com