Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2010, 03:48 AM   #1

An Aquarium "Side View" Question...

Is it considered normal to find the water a bit more hazy and cloudy when viewing a tank from the side rather than head-on?

It seems when I view my 60 gallon from the front, the water is beginning to exhibit that "polished," oxygen-rich, clear look, but when I view from the side(s), it looks murky and cloudy; is this normal? What would cause it if not?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You're looking through a lot more water when you look through the side. Thats the only explanation I've ever come up with

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
You're looking through a lot more water when you look through the side. Thats the only explanation I've ever come up with
That's because it is the reason.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I always saw that on my tanks in the past, and some of the saltwater tanks I work on are kind of brownish from side to side. This one:

Tank Journal - 135 FOWLR

Was really bad in that respect, after I did a lot of clean-up and added Purigen (I know, I talk about it a lot) it went crystal clear. This one:

Tank Journal - 225 SW FOWLR, Possible future reef

Looks great from the front, but very brown with only 10,000Ks on, better with Actinics on also.

My 55 planted community has been and side to side ever since using Purigen. It really polishes the water up well. I had a 55 cichlid tank when I was a teenager and it was always cloudy from side to side (but it was running a UGF and in front of a window). So I don't know if it has anything to do with live plants or Purigen or filtration method (Marinelane C-360) or frequent PWCs (50% weekly) or something else, but my tank is almost perfectly clear all the time, no matter which direction you look through it.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If it looks cloudy from the side, it isn't as clear as you thought.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's my 55 from the front

Side with then without flash

Funny that you can see the PWC line. Algae doesn't grow back as fast from the exposure to air! Hard to tell from the pic, 'cause the 'no flash' pics always are washed out - but it's clear as a window.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter View Post
Is it considered normal to find the water a bit more hazy and cloudy when viewing a tank from the side rather than head-on?

It seems when I view my 60 gallon from the front, the water is beginning to exhibit that "polished," oxygen-rich, clear look, but when I view from the side(s), it looks murky and cloudy; is this normal? What would cause it if not?
As I said over at AC, it should really be clear! Have you tried adding some filter floss to your filter? Supposedly this will 'polish' the water by removing most suspended particles.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is the WAY I judge whether or not my 220 is REALLY clear. I always view it from the side. If I can see straight through ALL 6 feet of tank right through, crystal clear, then I KNOW my tank is clear. If it's a little hazy, I know I need to do something. ie-change my carbon, water change, etc.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look through the glass, then look through the water from the top with the filters off. My water is clearer than my glass and the only things in my filter are sponge and ceramic biomedia.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only clean the front glass so the sides have algae on them so it's never clear when viewing from the side.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com