Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just realized this: if you have sand in your tank and you use a canister filter, sand will at some point get sucked into the filter. But the impeller will never get clogged or broken or whatever, because the filter media is usually before the impeller, so the sand is caught in the media before it can even reach the impeller.

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Exactly!! That's why canister fitters are AWESOME

Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Why do you say sand will get sucked in to the filter? I've never found sand in any of my canisters.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I guess it won't get sucked in when you aren't doing anything, but if you kick it up moving decorations or something it might get sucked in, but I just turn the filter off when I do that.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Why do you say sand will get sucked in to the filter? I've never found sand in any of my canisters.
Well, I guess it doesn't always hapen, but a lot of times fish will dart around and kick it up. It might also get sucked in when cleaning or rearanging.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwellag

Well, I guess it doesn't always hapen, but a lot of times fish will dart around and kick it up. It might also get sucked in when cleaning or rearanging.
I would've edited this in there but it's too old lol. When I turn the filter on in my 10g tank black sand gets sucked up sometimes and stops the impeller. The black sand I was using has very small particles, so there's the reason why sometimes sand gets sucked up.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I actually have experienced this problem. It was when I made the mistake of using play sand instead of pool filter sand. When my featherfin cat would scavenge, he would raise dust clouds. This was months after the substrate had been rinsed numerous times prior to placement. I recently changed the play sand over to eco-complete, because I couldn't stand the muddiness anymore. The interior of my canister was just nasty. Never had the same issue with pool filter sand, though.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi this can be a problem with big fish too as they like to 'rearrange' the tank all to often,so sand can get sucked in to the external filter! I usually have my intakes for my externals several inches of the base so as not 'suck' in any sand.Also you can use a 'pre-filter' usually a sponge placed over the intake strainer,this is then simply rinsed out,usually weekly,this also prolongs the time before you clean out the main filter I do this on my shrimp tanks,stops shrimps getting 'sucked' into the filter.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com