Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another filter given to me

Seems I am the local drop off point for unwanted/used tanks, filters etc - and I have absolutely no problems with that at all haha (I have 5 tanks ranging from 20ltrs upwards from donations lol) today I was given a whisper triad power filter 2000. Anyone have any knowledge on this?? I cannot find much online

Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynleigh View Post
Seems I am the local drop off point for unwanted/used tanks, filters etc - and I have absolutely no problems with that at all haha (I have 5 tanks ranging from 20ltrs upwards from donations lol) today I was given a whisper triad power filter 2000. Anyone have any knowledge on this?? I cannot find much online
Always nice to get freebies, especially if they are not just filling up your bin...lol. I had a quick look on both google and google images and can't get anything on it, which is quite unusual. Try posting a good picture of it and it might jog someone's memory.....

Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will assemble it later lol - it's in bits at the moment
Old 12-11-2013, 04:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I haven't cleaned it up yet obviously..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2910557020.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	211498  
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I haven't cleaned it up yet obviously..
Once you get that cleaned up I'd be curious to see how well it operates. And how quiet/noisy. I have not seen the Triad series in the states but the design is pretty identical. Some reviews I have seen on it comment on leaking. If necessary, you should be able to remove the motor with a counter clockwise quarter turn. An o-ring seals the filter/motor from leaking. You can remove, clean, inspect, and reinstall the o-ring. I have read that a small amount of Vaseline applied to the o-ring will help prevent leaks...though the combo of Vaseline + rubber (assuming the o-ring is made of that) may be questionable by some.
Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to spend some time cleaning it up tomorrow and I'll put it in a bucket for a few hours and see what happens - I'll update later
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I've cleaned it up with vinegar, did a bit of a repair on the impeller with aquarium silicone (wasn't sure it would work but it does) changed the carbon filter (also a bit of a DIY) and now it runs woohooo - I'm going to go get some Vaseline to repair the leaky o ring, but it should work well -

Here's my question - I'm thinking of adding it to my 55ltr to get it going - it won't upset my levels will it?? And I've read you can't over filter... True??
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I've cleaned it up with vinegar, did a bit of a repair on the impeller with aquarium silicone (wasn't sure it would work but it does) changed the carbon filter (also a bit of a DIY) and now it runs woohooo - I'm going to go get some Vaseline to repair the leaky o ring, but it should work well -

Here's my question - I'm thinking of adding it to my 55ltr to get it going - it won't upset my levels will it?? And I've read you can't over filter... True??
For a start you don't need the carbon. You could use floss and purigen or a fine filter sponge instead. Will do a better job imo. Carbon is only used for Med and/or odour removal.
Give the silicone 48hrs to cure fully. Personally I would test it for a few days before adding it to the tank. By testing I mean for leaks. Hanging it on a bucket or one of your spare tanks!!. If it leaks, then it leaks in your shed or garage and not all over the floor in your home. It will not upset the level at all. No such thing as over filtering, the only issue might be strong currents, which some fish don't like. Why not just use it as a floss filter. It will help polish the water and give the fish the "swimming on air" look. The floss can then be remove/replaced as needed......
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I just stuff the chamber full of floss???
Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So I just stuff the chamber full of floss???
Exactly. That's what I have on my planted tank and it keeps it crystal clear.
Do you have the right floss??

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com