Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jevousdeteste
Another filtration question

Which would you guys recommend for a 10/15 gal: AquaClear 150 (or 200, if that would be better), or a Fluval 2 Plus?

Right now the 15 gal is home to five livebearer fry and has a Whisper 5-15 HOB that came with the tank. Eventually, I'm going to move the fry to a 10 gal and convert the 15 gal into a dwarf puffer tank. I'm not entirely sure of the difference in water quality that an HOB would maintain, compared to a internal filter, as I've never used one. After I upgrade my other tank's filtration to a canister (which won't be for a few months), I'm going to use its Penguin Bio-wheel 200B on the 15 gal, anyway, and move whatever filter I get to the 10 gal. So yeah--efficient enough for a 15 gal, but not too much for a 10 gal.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

jevousdeteste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to megladonsharky Send a message via MSN to megladonsharky Send a message via Yahoo to megladonsharky
I was told the 200 for a ten gallon with cichlids.... 8O
I too only ude internal and will soon be using my fist hob

the fluval 3 would be good if you need extra not as the main from what I was told...

3-4 gallon with 80gph ... Planted lightly three white clouds ( Birtha Clara and Delila) and some snails (mainly melodys snacks)

9 gallon with 130gph , heated with male betta (Trafalger RIP)Kaden ( a male betta)has moved in, pygmy cory (MaMa) , pitbull pleco(Metal), three preacox rainbows( Annabel, Glitter and Mondo) and various snails...
megladonsharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:45 PM   #3

Re: Another filtration question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevousdeteste
Which would you guys recommend for a 10/15 gal: AquaClear 150 (or 200, if that would be better), or a Fluval 3 Plus?

Right now the 15 gal is home to five livebearer fry and has a Whisper 5-15 HOB that came with the tank. Eventually, I'm going to move the fry to a 10 gal and convert the 15 gal into a dwarf puffer tank. I'm not entirely sure of the difference in water quality that an HOB would maintain, compared to a internal filter, as I've never used one. After I upgrade my other tank's filtration to a canister (which won't be for a few months), I'm going to use its Penguin Bio-wheel 200B on the 15 gal, anyway, and move whatever filter I get to the 10 gal. So yeah--efficient enough for a 15 gal, but not too much for a 10 gal.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Why are you thinking about a Fluval 304 for a little 15g tank? The 304 is good for tanks up to 70 gallons, you could easily go with a smaller filter.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jevousdeteste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Why are you thinking about a Fluval 304 for a little 15g tank? The 304 is good for tanks up to 70 gallons, you could easily go with a smaller filter.
Fluval 2 Plus or the Fluval 3 Plus are the ones I'm thinking about. They're of the underwater variety, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. I suppose that the 3 plus would be a bit of overkill for 15g, though.
jevousdeteste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevousdeteste
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Fluval 2 Plus or the Fluval 3 Plus are the ones I'm thinking about. They're of the underwater variety, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. I suppose that the 3 plus would be a bit of overkill for 15g, though.
My bad, I would probably go for a HOB though.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I have a small Fluval internal, and they are farmore trouble to maintain than the Aquaclears, plus they take up tank space and are ugly.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would recomend the aqua clear 150. Just bought my first aqua clear and love it!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
If you already have a filter why dont you try getting a sponge prefilter for it? that could solve some problems.. like fry getting sucked into the filter.. The whisper really isnt a bad filter.. if it starts making noise it almost always is the impeller shaft a little bent.. I heat tempered mine
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagi
If you already have a filter why dont you try getting a sponge prefilter for it? that could solve some problems.. like fry getting sucked into the filter.. The whisper really isnt a bad filter.. if it starts making noise it almost always is the impeller shaft a little bent.. I heat tempered mine
And yes I have far too many filters! LOL

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com