Another Heater Thermostat Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiclidaholic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

New member / First post. Looking for recommendations for a heater that will not have a thermostat failure and cook my fish.

Well, I came home from work Monday to find that another heater had failed with the thermostat stuck in the "On" position. What had been a tank with a gorgeous 10" Green Terror (bought him years ago as a fry), a similarly sized Pleco (very pale tan color, not sure of species) and a Blue Botia of about 3 inches, was now fish soup. What a mess. Must have failed overnight as the tank temperature was over 100 degrees. It seemed fine Sunday night, and since the tank is in the basement, I did not see the tank in the morning on my way to work. So it had perhaps 20 hours to overheat.

Now this is not the first time I have had a perfectly healthy tank turn into a rapid decomposition chamber due to the failure of a heater. It seems that, aside from a tank leaking to empty (Yep, I've seen that too) nothing kills fish faster than a failed heater thermostat. Heck, when they fail in the "Off" position, or if a fish decides to shatter the tube, the response is more like. "Hmmm. Tank seems cold. I'd better get a new heater". But this type of failure has happened too many times.

So, relative to this particular issue, what heater would you suggest I use henceforth? In searching the forum, it appears that a number of people like the Jager brand heaters, which I do not think are carried locally but are available on-line. Still, I thought I'd post the question here because: I am really annoyed and need to vent; I'd like ask specifically about recommendations for heaters that are less prone to fail in this particular manner; and because, hey, I just registered on this web site. Howdy!

Thanks,
Tom

Welcome! I'm new here myself. Although I do not have a specific heater to recommend, one thing I have read that others have done is to use two heaters instead of one, with each heater being of 1/2 the total required watts. That way if one fails, either off or on, the potential for catastrophe is reduced. The heaters are placed at opposite sides of the tank, which also leads to more even heating.

Well, I am new as well, but in my short span with fish, my Neptune heater overheated 2 weeks after I bought it. I have a Visitherm now, and for the price it is definitely worth considering. The quality seems to be very accurate as well. With a lifetime warranty, you'll never even have to buy a new one, which is good too.

Back
Top Bottom