Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Another Heater Thermostat Disaster

Hi Everyone,

New member / First post. Looking for recommendations for a heater that will not have a thermostat failure and cook my fish.

Well, I came home from work Monday to find that another heater had failed with the thermostat stuck in the "On" position. What had been a tank with a gorgeous 10" Green Terror (bought him years ago as a fry), a similarly sized Pleco (very pale tan color, not sure of species) and a Blue Botia of about 3 inches, was now fish soup. What a mess. Must have failed overnight as the tank temperature was over 100 degrees. It seemed fine Sunday night, and since the tank is in the basement, I did not see the tank in the morning on my way to work. So it had perhaps 20 hours to overheat.

Now this is not the first time I have had a perfectly healthy tank turn into a rapid decomposition chamber due to the failure of a heater. It seems that, aside from a tank leaking to empty (Yep, I've seen that too) nothing kills fish faster than a failed heater thermostat. Heck, when they fail in the "Off" position, or if a fish decides to shatter the tube, the response is more like. "Hmmm. Tank seems cold. I'd better get a new heater". But this type of failure has happened too many times.

So, relative to this particular issue, what heater would you suggest I use henceforth? In searching the forum, it appears that a number of people like the Jager brand heaters, which I do not think are carried locally but are available on-line. Still, I thought I'd post the question here because: I am really annoyed and need to vent; I'd like ask specifically about recommendations for heaters that are less prone to fail in this particular manner; and because, hey, I just registered on this web site. Howdy!

Chiclidaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Welcome! I'm new here myself. Although I do not have a specific heater to recommend, one thing I have read that others have done is to use two heaters instead of one, with each heater being of 1/2 the total required watts. That way if one fails, either off or on, the potential for catastrophe is reduced. The heaters are placed at opposite sides of the tank, which also leads to more even heating.

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. -Pericles

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, I am new as well, but in my short span with fish, my Neptune heater overheated 2 weeks after I bought it. I have a Visitherm now, and for the price it is definitely worth considering. The quality seems to be very accurate as well. With a lifetime warranty, you'll never even have to buy a new one, which is good too.
Marineland Eclipse System Six
Rena Air Pump Model 50 (Airstone)
Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater 50 Watt

Glass 20 Gallon Aquarium
Penn Plax Cascade 100 Hang-On Power Filter - 20 Gallons
Penn Plax Air-Tech Pumps (2) (20 Gallon and 65 Gallon)
Penn Plax Therma-Tech Submersible Heater (100 Watt)
Visi-Therm Deluxe Heater (100 Watt)
soccerstud652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ebo-jager, or visi-therm
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com