Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question Another LED confusion

Hello i am currently trying to light my tank so i can have at least some plants which will do ok. I have a 12g tank which currently has a 15w T8 (day light, i think ~600 Lm). As i cannot afford to upgrade to a T5 system i am looking to supplement my lighting output with the addition of an LED strip. I have read articles on lighting such as (Aquarium Lighting; Kelvin, Nanometers, PAR, Bulb, Watt, MH, LED, Light Basics.) and so realise that PAR etc is important. What i am confused about is what type of LEDs i need. For instance i have found some on ebay (30cm COLOUR CHANGE AQUARIUM W/PROOF LED LIGHTING KIT on eBay (end time 16-Jan-11 22:13:42 GMT)) which after asking the seller, supply ~300 Lm at bright white setting and are at a range of 6500-7200K. Hence in my mind after reading various articles these seem to be a good light source for low-medium light plants in conjunction to my existing T8. Basically am i crazy or am i on the right path with these? Thanks RR

Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The color changing part of that fixture is a mystery to me. I believe you want to get White LED's in the 6k range for plant growth.

Generally LED for aquariums cost more upfront than other types of lighting. The payback is in the long term.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I see so as long as they are in the right Kelvin temp these should have the right light range for plants? So for a 12g tank is around 900 lumen enough for low-med plants?

RabiedRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabiedRooster View Post
I see so as long as they are in the right Kelvin temp these should have the right light range for plants? So for a 12g tank is around 900 lumen enough for low-med plants?
I keep seeing this said and it simply isn't true. Just because a light is of a certain color tempature does not mean it will support plants. White point has nothing to do with spectrum. You must be sure you are getting full day light spectrum LEDs, which most of the decorative type LED lighting systems this guy is talking about do not have. LEDs by nature produce light in very narrow spikes of bandwidth. It takes a good deal of engineering to even get white light out of them, and takes a [moderator edit] of allot of engineering to get the broad spectrum needed to grow plants. Simply being a bright shade of white is not enough.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com